Time to Upgrade my Conext SW4024 and Combox Firmware - Suggestions?

MrM1
MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
My firmware is original when purchased back in 2017 for both the SW and the Combox.    I am probably a generation or 2 behind.

Before I do any upgrading the firmware and / or brick my SW,  what are some tips, and / or best practices for upgrading the firmware in these 2 units?  I Figure probably upgrade the combox first so that it is fresh,  then the SW.   Just do not want to mess anything up. 

Any links to documentation or how to's would be helpful.  I am not finding much about it.

Thanks As Always
Mike
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion

Comments

• ELYNN4
    ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
    The main thing to be aware of is that your system will go in to standby while the firmware updates.  If you are off grid this means that you lose power which will affect your communication to your device and stop the transfer.  If you are off grid you need to start your generator MANUALLY - NOT with the AGS, then put the system in to bypass so that the generator carries your loads, not the inverter.  IF you start the generator using the AGS, even using the manual on mode, when your system goes into standby it will shut the generator down, and you will lose all power and the communication with your device will stop.  Otherwise updating the firmware is pretty straightforward- you can find some videos on YouTube as well.
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Is there any reason to update the firmware? If everything works ok, then why bother.

• MrM1
    edited March 2021 #4
    Im upgrading batteries to LFP.  I have seen some settings for bulk time and things mentioned by people who are using LFP and this charger that are not in my charger settings.  I assume it has to do with firmware. 
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MrM1 said:
    Im upgrading batteries to LFP.  I have seen some settings for bulk time and things mentioned by people who are using LFP and this charger that are not in my charger settings.  I assume it has to do with firmware. 
    FWIW, my firmware is from 2015 with LFP, everything works with what's available in the settings for that vintage, changing the firmware likely will have little to no advantage, even if there have been enhancements made.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MrM1
    Yeah I'm kind of not feeling it. Don't fix what's not broken. Besides I'm feeling kind of lazy
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,
    It is fairly meaningless to talk about firmware unless you refer to the version you are running. The year that a device was purchased means very little as some vendors do not update firmware to current when sold. It can sit in their stock for ?

Schneider updates most all drop shipped products from their stock. Most vendors do not or do not know that there is a way to do this without opening the box. Or, they leave it to you to decide. Probably alot safer if they leave it alone!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• MrM1
    Yes thanks @Dave Angelini   Firmware version V03.08.00-0004
  • Dave Angelini
    Armed with that number, you would download the firmware and read the release notes. This will tell you what has been done since your version. You also should check combox as it had some serious updates before it was placed on the discontinued product list 2 years ago.

• MrM1
    @Dave Angelini  I was wondering yesterday if the newer XW series inverters still worked with the combox,  or only the gateway now? 
  • Dave Angelini
    combox will "work",  I tested it offgrid with XW pro 26 months ago. However there are functions that are not supported and newer firmware on XWP could change how combox reacts.

XWP has always stated on the first page of the xwp website, only gateway can be used.

There is a less expensive version of gateway called Home coming out very soon.  It will not have wifi or the second xanbus network.