Honda EU22000 generator only runs with choke closed

Options
hskbvn
hskbvn Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all, i am new here.
i bought a Honda EU22000 generator about 3 months ago, filled in oil and ran it for about 1/2 hour.
i then let the engine in fuel-off position, run it until dry. Then i drained and remaining fuel in the carburetor before storage.

Today i had a power outage, took out the gen and started it with the choke closed (to the right). After  while, i tried to open the choke but the gen shut off as soon as i open the choke.
try this routine for a few more times without luck, so i then started again, and gradually move the choke to halfway, and let it run for a while. After a long time, i can moved the choke to open fully.

However, the generator is still running very rough.

the gen is still in warranty, but i would like to ask what thing can cause this issue? Is there anything i can should do to fix this?
Thanks
hskbvn

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably the fuel has gone bad over time, drain and replace with fresh fuel, the symptoms described are consistent with poor fuel quality.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    OP...in case you are not aware...you can put the old fuel in any automobile gas tank to burn it.  This will not damage the auto.  Just make sure to add the old fuel to at least a half tank in the auto.
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    New fuel and a good dose of "SeaFoam" gasoline treatment. Could be plugged jets. These small engines have small passages and jets.

Also, any fuel that will not be ran dry, I highly suggest using a fuel stabilizer. And run the stored fuel through the car once every 6-12 months.

You do know about the fuel cap vent... open to run, close to seal the tank...

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hskbvn
    Options
    Thanks for for your advice, i remember i put Pri-G fuel stabilizer in there.

the thing is that  it was easy to start ( a few pulls since i drained the fuel before storage), but it would not stay on when i open the Choke.

I put more seafoam in the tank, ran it for a good 40 MIN at full, and let it cool off now.
    Will re-start again when the engine is cold to see if the problem persists.

Then, i will drain all the fuel in the tank (in the whole tank, not only in the cab) before storage this time.

• BB.
    Options
    Don't know about the EU2200I, but the old eu2000i has a carburetor drain screw and dump tube. Very easy to access via the side panel.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    I should add, I drain the fuel out of the main tank and then run the genset under a light load until the fuel is totally used up. Then open the carburetor drain screw the finished draining the last few drops.
    Bill
  • hskbvn
    Options
    Hello Bill, how do you drain the fuel out of the main tank?  I don't know if i should/can put the gen upside down to drain it?
    through carburetor drain screw and dump tube?

• BB.
    Options
    I:

1. Pull the starter cord to get on the compression cycle (close the intake/exhaust valves).
    2. Remove the fuel cap and turn the tank upside down (I try to roll the Carburetor "up"... Not sure with this engine, but rolling with carb down, I have had a bunch of oil come up through the crankcase vent tube into the carb/air filter with other brands of light engines).
    3. Take a single rolled up paper towel and push the end to the bottom of the tank and wick up any puddles on the bottom of the tank (you probably need to pull the plastic cone/fuel strainer/fire screen--Just take finger/pair of pliers to pull the strainer--And you may have to disconnect the fuel cap captive hook&chain).
    4. Fuel cap on/vent open.
    5. Start genset with light load (such as an electric heater) and run until it stops.
    6. Drain float bowl.
    7. If storing for a longer time--
    8. Let engine cool
    9. pull spark plug,
    10. squirt a teaspoon or so of oil into the spark plug hole,
    11. put a small amount of "anti seize" compound on the plug threads--Keeping compound only on threads and not in inside or outside ceramic insulator--anti-seize is usually conductive and hard to clean off.
    12. Reinstall plug, torque, and I give the pull cord a few pulls to coat the rings/cylinder wall with oil,
    13. and then pull lightly to get on compression stroke with valves closed.

If the engine has been run for hours and hot--I leave the oil in the engine (moisture has been driven out of oil from running at temperature).

Some folks like to change to new oil before storage--Your choice. I have a couple eu2000i that have been stored for 6-10+ years between runs (after pickling procedure above) and they all started great.

The one mistake I made with one of the eu2000i genset--I did not hold onto the starting cord well--And it slipped out of my hands and the engine sucked it back "home"... Sounds like it slightly bent something inside the recoil starter/cooling fan blades and it makes a little rasping noise if the engine is running and the starter cord is not yet put "home"... Not bad enough that I have gone into look/repair.

Both have very low hours (less than 100)--And they have been very reliable when needed.

-Bill
  • Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I run ethanol free premium gas and have not had any problems for years. 
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I’ll said  , I would bet my last dollar your gas cap vent is closed . 
     Honda just run . 
     I add seafoam in the fuel every few tank fulls 
     you could have a lemon but I would not think so 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    You could try running it with the fuel cap lose  the vent could be clogged 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • hskbvn
    edited March 2021 #13
    Options
    so after a cold night, i restarted the gen this morning with choke closed, then i opened it, and the gen shut off.
    Restart again, let it run for about 40 seconds with choke closed, then open the choke, and the gen stays on.
    at this point, i am not sure if i should bring the gen to an authorized dealer to take a look.  What can they do? open the carburetor and clean it?
  • BB.
    Options
    You paid a premium for the Honda (I know, I have a few). If it is not working correctly, take it in for warranty service (double check if they will charge you/how much before they open it up if it was "bad fuel").

Something else to check for... I believe that that many of these Honda eu gensets have a fuel screen/filter buried inside/not obvious--The eu2000i has it in the base of the fuel tank inlet. You might check/change that first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eovXyTHZvM (eu2000i fuel screen access)

Not a lot of eu2200i videos or parts information yet... Here is a parts list--Looks like the eu2200i has the same/similar fuel tank inlet screen:

https://www.hondalawnparts.com/honda-eu2200-generator-parts

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Even very good Honda dealers seem to begin a customer conversation,   with   "BAD FUEL",  which it might be  ...

Just sayin'   Good Luck,  Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • New_Mexico_Will
    New_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Marvel Mystery Oil will clean and stabilize the fuel at the same time.  I use a lot of that stuff.
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 #17
    Options
    hskbvn said:
    so after a cold night, i restarted the gen this morning with choke closed, then i opened it, and the gen shut off.
    Restart again, let it run for about 40 seconds with choke closed, then open the choke, and the gen stays on.

at this point, i am not sure if i should bring the gen to an authorized dealer to take a look.  What can they do? open the carburetor and clean it?

How cold?
    Mine does the same thing. If it's cold, I have to run with choke on for bit for it to warm up otherwise it will die right off. I don't go 40 seconds...maybe 15.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Options
    Keep running it with seafoam it may clear up.
    There's a very small hole in the main jet in the carb. Thats partially clogged.
    Carbs are aluminum if ran till dry.
    Aluminum will oxidize especially if stored in a cold damp shed.
    Before fuel stabilizers where heard of.
    When I stored my Briggs pusher for the winter I put a cap of transmission fluid 
    In a almost empty tank and let it run until it shut off. The fluid coats the carb and engine parts.
    For 45 years I still do it to all my small engines. Including my honda 2000.
    Ethanol creates condensation and turns fuel lines to jelly.
    It is not engine friendly.

2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Are you starting the unit running  full throttle , if it’s inverting the motor runs slower and dies when cold
     when it’s cold it takes a little time with the choke closed to warm up .
     Dose the unit smooth out when you plug in a tool .
     My 2200 runs a little rough but smooths out with a load on it