Otback Radian Remote Port

bobbypat
bobbypat Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4
I have an Outback Radian 8048A connected to 2 FM80 chargers via a Mate3 and a 4 port Outback hub.
I would like to input an Epever 80A charge contoller to the Radian as well.
Connecting the Epever to the Radian is pretty straight-forward, but the communications is not so.

I have a spare port on the Hub, but I understand that it will only work with Outback products.
Would it be possible to put a splitter on the Remote input of the Radian to receive communication input from both the Mate3 and the Epever?

If not, how would this be accomplished so that the inverter communicates with both?

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I don't think it will work. Ok, that was pretty pessimistic. A custom interface would likely be necessary for communications and even then the Mate3 and OpticsRe would have to recognize it. My best suggestion would be to email or call outback support and ask them about it.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably would have to gain access and know how to program MODBUS on both units. That is how Schneider allows a battery manufacture to close loop the BMS to the charging/discharge protection in a power system.  It also gets BMS data out to the user.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• bobbypat
    Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.
  • bobbypat
    If the inverter only communicates with the FM80's, and not the Epever, is there any real harm done other than needing to swap the comm connections in order to get data from one or the other?