Issue with XW 6848+ after updating firmware

Options
ELYNN4
ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
After updating the firmware on my XW 6848+  - when the AGS starts the generator an “event” is triggered stating that the AGS was unable to start the generator - even though the generator is running.  The event clears within a second or so and the generator comes on line after the warmup period is completed.  This occurs in both the Manual On and Automatic modes.  This was never an issue with the earlier firmware version.

I contacted Schneider and they have been little to no help.  Initially they tried to tell me that this was normal, but couldn’t tell me why it didn’t occur with the old firmware.

Has anyone else run in to this issue?  Is there a setting in the XW that might have changed with the firmware that might be delaying the power qualification of the generator?

My generator is a Type 9.  I have checked the settings in the AGS and it is still set to all of the default settings for a Type 9.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions folks might have.
Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you think it is the firmware, and I do not, then you should revert back to the previous firmware. 
    The last firmware is almost 4 years old ! I have not heard any of my clients who use xw+ and gensets say anything like this. Also this version of XW is mature and really has been solid firmware wise since 2016.
    A DC power down might be worth trying. Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ELYNN4
    Options
    Thanks Dave,

I just heard from Schneider - they are saying that I need to leave my starter engaged for 15-30 seconds and the problem will go away.  I think they are on to something because I did cut back my starter from 15 seconds to 3 seconds because I was concerned about the starter motor grinding away with the generator running.  Is there another setting that can be adjusted to increase how quickly the XW qualifies the power from the generator?
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    XW can't go faster than 40 seconds. That is built-in to make sure the power is good/stable before the relay switches.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ELYNN4
    Options
    Thanks Dave,

Trying to understand why they want the starter motor to grind away for fifteen to thirty seconds before determining that the generator is actually running.

is there a setting that senses output from the generator - confirming that it is running.  Then the 40 second timer you mention before qualifying the power for use?

thanks,

Elwood
  • ELYNN4
    Options
    Wondering how/if the “Generator Run Hold Time” might play in to this equation?  The default for the Type 9 generator is .5 seconds.  If the alternator isn’t putting out voltage within .5 seconds does the AGS believe it didn’t start?  The Crank Time is currently set for 3 seconds, would it make sense to match the Generator Run Hold Time with the Crank Time?

Some generators require a Generator Run Hold Time as long as 20 seconds.

thoughts?

thanks