Sol-Ark 12k vs. Schneider XW6848 Pro system any thoughts?

blacknbart
blacknbart Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
Currently thinking about getting a Schneider Xw6848 Pro system (attached layout), but someone chatted me up about the Sol-Ark 12K system. The Sol-Ark is compact and not as material and install extensive, but I may need two in order to give me the power I would need.  I was wondering if there were any Sol-Ark 12K users out there to give me some pointers. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my installer buddies are using them. There have been issue with the systems becoming so imbalanced (split phase) that they shut down and you loose power. The Solar-Arc is tempting because of the price. The price is good because there is not the huge Toroid transformer that the low frequency XW has. I would wait a few years to see if they sort this out. A 15 amp circuit table saw shut down their inverter. There are you-tubes I was told. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• blacknbart
    blacknbart Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭

Dave, yeah we totally picked that up from a couple of videos we reviews on YouTube about the Sol-Ark 12K.  We even had a talked with a Tech/salesperson from Sol-Ark yesterday just to give us some apples to apples comparison to the Schneider arrangement.  We're not completely sold on the Sol-Ark due to the fact of the Invertor shutting down due to those higher loads at which are common for most households from time to time (table saw, Dryer, Vehicle charge, well pump, etc., etc.  It's nice that it’s compact and is an easy install, but ......... it seems like it Apples to Watermelons in comparison with the Schneider rig. The cost isn’t that much on an issue as well.  Thanks for your input.

• MarkC
    MarkC Solar Expert Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Recent video that seems impressive.  I'd guess one of these presenters could answer some of the questions about phase balancing and start surge current - but thier sales pitch would seem to indicate (at least the surge) has been well thought out. 

https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/recorded_audio?audioRecordingUrl=https://rs0000.freeconferencecall.com/storage/sgetFCC2/Dkb0m/HPpvY&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=120341448&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_8q1VckapRBt3jZu_6WcLlFmDCvnkTJ5yYvemLawY5f6Bp978elV7apLFoBBmtjVkVxAA706xLZNhbMOMC98pBlJosRQ&utm_content=120341448&utm_source=hs_email
    3850 watts - 14 - 275SW SolarWorld Panels, 4000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy Grid tied inverter.  2760 Watts - 8 - 345XL Solar World Panels, 3000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy GT inverter.   3000 watts SMA/SPS power.  PV "switchable" to MidNite Classic 250ks based charging of Golf cart + spare battery array of 8 - 155 AH 12V Trojans with an  APC SMT3000 - 48 volt DC=>120 Volt AC inverter for emergency off-grid.   Also, "PriUPS" backup generator with APC SURT6000/SURT003  => 192 volt DC/240 volt split phase AC inverter.  
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 #5
    I personally was a bit annoyed by the fact that they demonstated that the sol-Ark was more cost effective than the XW+ because the XW+ "required" two quite expensive Schneider MMPT charge controllers for a price of >9000$.

I'm powering my XW+ with 1 Midnight controller at 1/4th the price of the Schneider controllers.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit deceptive (mppt-100a-600v is around a grand) and that is not a good sign for a company. I have never had an XW shutdown for anything but low battery offgrid in a well designed system. The all in one concept also makes a spare or troubleshooting expensive offgrid. 

If they are good in 2 years, I will keep an open mind.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net