HUP BATTERIES

homeskillet
homeskillet Registered Users Posts: 2
IS THERE ANYONE USING HUP SOLAR ONE BATTERIES.   I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU ARE YOU USING FOR YOUR CHARGING VOLTAGES  (ABSORB AND EQ) AND WHAT YOUR SG IS AFTER A FULL CHARGE.  I HAVE A 48 VDC 1500 A/H (6 HR RATE) FORKLIFT BATTERY  (NOT HUP).  MY BATTERIES ARE USUALLY  70-80% OF FULL CHARGE AT SUN UP.   I ABSORB AT 58.4 VDC FOR 2.5 HRS AND EQ AT 62 VDC (ON OCCASION).    WHEN I AM DONE WITH A FULL CHARGE MY BATTERY NORMALLY READS  SG 1.29-1.30 .    WHEN I EQ THE BATTERY I GET A SG OF 1.31.   I AM WONDERING IF I AM OVERCHARGING AND REDUCING THERE LIFE.    ANY INFO IS WELCOME.  THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a client who loves his HUPS. Do you need someone to look up the specs? I know he is running what we set them at 10 years ago or so.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    The electrolyte SG for full-charge of forklift batteries has a fairly large variation,  between different battery manufacturers and specific batteries within a single manufacturer.   Some electrolyte fill SGs run up to about 1.320,  or so,   to  get a bit more Capacity in a given volume of battery.   This generally necessitates somewhat higher Absorb an EQ voltages,   all else being equal.

Would suggest that you look to the manufacturer of your specific battery,  for guidance.   Try contacting them for suggested RE charge/EQ voltages.

It does  appear that you are doing fairly well with your present charge parameters,   based on your SG readings.   If anything,  based on the SGs after EQ,  that your Absorb voltage,   might be slightly low.

FWIW,  the following Link is for the current HUP Battery Manual:
    HUP-Installation-Manual-Users-Manual.pdf (hupsolar.com)

Undercharging is the largest risk to FLA battery health.  Erring on the side of a bit of an overcharge is generally better than continued undercharging.

All,  IMO,    Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Forklift battery charging profiles from the manufacturer may not nessersary correspond to to offgrid due to the high demand of a forklift and the availability of long grid based charging  In offgrid applications the loads are typically lighter, however the window  of opportunity for charging is  shorter, so running them hot, so to speak, may be advantageous.

Undercharging would be the thing most likely to occur because people worry too much about overcharging, limiting the absorption based on time would be better replaced with an end amp termination of ~2% of capacity, this may mean they never transition to float during a day, but ultimately the sun will end the cycle as it sets. 

High  temperatures are the enemy of lead acid batteries, voltage temperature compensation is vital if deviation is above or below 25°C, particularly high, which can shorten life expectancy significantly, but based on the SG readings posted, along with the discharge figures, it would be safe to assume you're doing well, worry less about overcharging, the batteries are robust.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.