Outback VFX3648 red flashing error light, it says temp sensor

toothy
toothy Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭✭
Hello All,

After all these years I have an error light. The Mate tells me its a temp sensor. Is that the internal temp sensor? The error is on the slave inverter, the master shows no error. 

Would it be this one? https://www.solar-electric.com/outback-power-spare-040-air-temp-sensor-kit.html

Thanks
Wade

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own or use an outback inverter or Mate...

It looks like there is a fault for the air temperature sensor. Did you read through the assorted faults in your manual?

Looks like "temperature yes" indicates working but out of bounds, but like I said Not my end of the pool...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the slave warmer than the master? Is it PO2 on all of the time or just when the slave is being used. Does it's fan work? On during charging... More data is needed but I think that you need the part you listed.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• toothy
    Thanks guys,

The slave basically only comes on for charging and is cooler than the master. It is stacked above the master which may not be best, should probably keep the warm one on top for convective cooling but were pretty cool around here. The fan does work on reboot but I'll need to check if it comes on during charging.

I saw a post somewhere by an old hand at this, but don't remember where or who, that said that the temp sensor is a known issue.

Nothing looks particularly weird. This was when it was just doing it's normal low power inverting, we use about 8Kwh per day. When I took these readings the master felt slightly warmer to the touch as the readings would indicate.

Cap temp master 185
    slave 212
    fet temp master 188
    slave 213
    air temp Master 177
    slave 255
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the slave warmer than the master? Is it PO2 on all of the time or just when the slave is being used. Does it's fan work? On during charging... More data is needed but I think that you need the part you listed.
    I just want to say, this is much more Dave's end of the pool. 

I replied, just to do some basics and see if you had checked the manual. I noticed that faulty sensors typically had 'no' beside them.

Looked like your post had been 'orphaned' after a couple days.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You are always welcome in the pools I use :) 

For 25$ I would get the part and try it if you are comfortable going in there.
    Definitely check if fan is coming on. Something is making the slave warmer.
    I have a guru who helps me with Radians and I help him with Schneider. I will ask after you check the fan.
    Cheers!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• toothy
    Thank you both for the help.

I think the slave is cooler as that is not a C or F reading but something else and I have been told the # gets higher as the temperature gets cooler. We all need thing like that just to mess with us!  

I have no problem buying the part and giving it a whirl but I can't even find a parts list that says that it even has that part. The listing says "OutBack Power SPARE-040 Air Temp Sensor kit for all OutBack inverters. The kit comes with instructions on how to install the air temp sensor." All is a pretty broad statement but it could be true for all I know. 

I'll let you know if that does it, if its in there.

Thanks
    W
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi toothy,

Have you tried asking on the OB Forum?   Might not hurt.

On another computer,  have the Secret Decoder Ring for MX-60 "counts",  vs actual C  temp,  if that would help  (it may the correct ring,  or,  perhaps not).  It was also posted here,  by vtmaps   ...   will look later.

Good Luck,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • toothy
    Hi Vic,

The part is on its way from AZ I'll post my results when it gets here and put in.  I asked on the OB Forum and were discussing it.

Thanks
    W
  • Vic
    Hi toothy,

Sorry,  got busy and forgot to post the Table,  from this computer.

Did not follow the Thread on the OB Forum,   but,  from the Table,  255 is the Code for an  "Open Sensor" .

The Table should be Attached,  below.   Good Luck,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • toothy
    WOW!!!

That's awesome info Vic! 

Now I wonder if the part that is on the way is the air temp sensor?

Great info  B)
    W
  • toothy
    It does say its the air temp sensor! Yahooo :)
  • Vic
    OK,  toothy,   sounds  great.    Hope that the new sensor does the trick.   Vic