Using a flow switch to turn UV water filter on/off

Hello!

I am having trouble finding much info on this topic. I have a UV water filter installed in my water filtration system in my van and I'd like to use a flow switch to turn it off when there is no water flowing through it. I bought a flow switch on Amazon and have not been able to find any wiring diagrams. Anyone have any ideas on how I could wire it to use it as an on/off switch? Would I need to get a relay?

Flow Switch:
DIGITEN FS-C01 G1/2" Brass Water Flow Switch with Filter 1-30L/min, 0-2A/ 0-220V(AC or DC): Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

Thanks!

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum 

What are the specifications of the UV water filter? That will determine how it will be wired.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    One thing to be aware of is that fluorescent tube UV disinfectant systems have a warm-up period during which they don't disinfect water.  Some systems have a time delay solenoid valve that doesn't let water flow until the lamp has warmed up.  LED UV disinfection systems (Accuva for instance) don't have this delay issue.  The 12V Accuva system also has a built in water flow sensor which greatly reduces power consumption as it appears you are thinking of doing as well.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500