Magnum AGS - Genset Cooldown Issue

Options
snowhawk
snowhawk Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
Having trouble with my magnum AGS. This is a new system and we purchased a 5kw Northern Lights Diesel genset as our workhorse to charge our batteries here at our off-grid homestead in Alaska. The problem I'm having is that no matter what duration I set the cool down to (3 mins, 2 mins), 30 seconds before the coold own is finished, the message 'Start VDC' scrolls across the ME-ARC remote and it re-engages AC out from our generator, then shuts it down under load. NOT GOOD. I basically have to catch it at that point and press the charge button to disengage the AC, but when that happens and the gen finally shuts off, it drops everything that's on back to the inverter HARD. My fridge goes crazy and goes from 1amp to 8amps, if the washer or dryer or on, they tank, it's not good at all. I have talked to Magnum and they have heard of this issue occurring with a few other customers recently. Wondering if there's anyone else out there that's having the same or any issue with the AGS? If so, please call their tech support line and let them know you're also having trouble. They haven't found a solution for me in over a month now and with the darker days here in Alaska, this is a real issue for us. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum SnowHawk.

I am guessing this is what you have (the standalone unit)?

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/ME-AGS-S-manual.pdf

I would use a voltmeter and check the battery voltage at the AGS input (is it above or below the autostart setting?).

Next, can you tell us a bit more about your battery bank/battery wiring/AC inverter brand/model/AC to DC battery charger size & model)? (battery bank AH and voltage, type of batteries, battery wiring AWG and length, and the AC inverter type/model/wattage, etc.).

It sounds like your battery voltage is "crashing" when the generator/battery charger shuts down. Is the battery bank "good" (large enough to manage the surge current), charging voltages OK, battery wiring OK--good connections, heavy & short cables, battery bus voltage good to AGS, AC inverter DC inputs, DC charger outputs, etc.)?

That is where I would start.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would start with disabling the AGS.

Until you know it is programmed correctly,  they are a huge source of issues and often come with new users.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does the generator have its own independent cool down sequence which may be in conflict with the AGS, most commercial gen sets neet only a dry contact to comand it on or off, all other protection, including cool down are on board the generator itself.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.