Battery refractometer

Options
alcatel99
alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Possibly. But there will be a variation of specific gravity between the top and the bottom of any battery. At least you can "stir" the electrolyte somewhat with a hydrometer, something I can't see using this device.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • ELYNN4
    ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Options
    The refractometer is more accurate and is temperature compensating.  It is important to stir things up as battery acid tends to stratify, I use my hydrometer for mixing 😇
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't think your hydrometer "mixes" the electrolyte that much...just the amount above the plates and below the fill line.  There's fluid all the way to the bottom of the case between the plates.  That gets stirred by bubbling action during absorb phase.

I do bulb squeeze 3 times before my testing sample with the hydrometer, mix up the top most electrolyte.