Warning, do not buy this generator!

Options
bbbuddy
bbbuddy Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
We bought a Cummins Onan dual fuel 9500 generator last January, had to drive to Phoenix 200 miles away to pick it up. We paid extra for a high altitude carburetor jet and high alt propane kit to be installed.  

Within 2 hours of use "something" went wrong and it threw a fault to our Magnum PAE2400 inverter. After messing around with it we found it would recharge our batteries IF we started it while not hooked up to the inverter.... at 12 hours of use it quit making any power whatever.

Finally we took it back under warrantee to the Cummins dealer. They thought a plastic part broke,  but when they tore into it they found the generator bearing had broken.  They replaced the generator,  but did not update the warrantee.

Now the new generator will not start,  after 24 total hours of use.  We usually only run it for an hour- hour and a half at a time

We troubleshot it, checked oil, replaced spark plug,  etc. Engine turns over, but doesn't catch. 
It's only been run on propane;   we hooked up new bottle, in the sun. So I know the pressure is ok.

GET THIS:  THEY NOW SAY NO WARRANTEE BECAUSE OF THE TYPE OF USE!!  CAN'T BE USED FOR BACK UP POWER!!!

So anyone who buys this generator to use if your power goes out for even a minute,  you void the warrantee. 

Apparently it can only be used for running power tools??

I'm so mad I can't see straight.   I told them when I bought it what it was to be used for...recharging batteries after too many cloudy days... we're in Arizona, so we don't need it that often,  but stiil...

$1500 and three 400 mile trips and we have a piece of crap sitting here.
Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems strange the warranty usually would be void if the design is for backup but used for prime, not the intended use clause, not the other way around.  There may have been a misunderstanding with the person whom you were dealing with, it would be best to escalate the claim to someone higher in the dealership, always remain calm as anger can get in the way of a positive outcome.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • bbbuddy
    Options
    No, I was clear when I purchased that it would be used for occasional battery recharging on a solar system. I got an email from a Cummins Care Senior Analyst that "As this is used in an off grid application warrant would not apply to the unit."
    Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 #4
    Options
    That's perhaps where there is a misunderstanding, information was passed on to customer care and was misinterpreted that off grid implied full time useage which would require a Prime source generator. Have you read the warranty including the small print to see if it specifically says cannot be used as backup in an off grid application?

Edit: What family is the generator as warranty differs see attached file. Do a word search for "off grid", some do have specific off grid warranty.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • bbbuddy
    Options
    I'm the one who told customer care how it was used