Long term potato storage?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
At the top of LaVeta Pass I found three piles of sandy potatoes. One would assume a potato truck somehow dumped them. They were getting run over so I decided to save some.

They were still there a day later so I saved some more. Now I have 40 gallons of sandy potatoes. I assumed my neighbor would take some - he was prolific in having children. But they seem to be gone fighting wildfires - that is what they do. 

So I watched a batch of youtube vids on potato storage. These seem to be the principal points:
1) Store them cool but without freezing. The freezing is my challenge in several months.
2) Store them dark and dry.
3) Store them above ground and do not stack them. Some air flow must be allowed.
4) Do not treat them harshly as bruises turn into bad potatoes. 

All great advice I think - but this requires a LOT of space. My root cellar is already packed. Other areas will freeze before long. 

I have a LOT of straw. Wondering if someone has found a way to efficiently store a LOT of potatoes. If not, looks like I will have to pioneer a "new" method for home storage. Stacking them with straw in between. I found a user who does with 5 gallon buckets with many 1/2" holes drilled in the buckets. I do not have surplus 5 gallon buckets.

Also - seems that gardening turns into a full time hobby for many. Healthy I am sure. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Sand grown potatoes only last a couple months. I think they would last if sliced and cooked - then froze. We have all kept frozen potatoes successfully I would guess. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • InCogKneeToe
    InCogKneeToe Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Stick Electrodes in them and make Potatoes Batteries!

I guess, freezing them (cooked) would be the Best Bet. Root Cellar, donate them to a Food Bank.

• softdown

Stick Electrodes in them and make Potatoes Batteries!

I guess, freezing them (cooked) would be the Best Bet. Root Cellar, donate them to a Food Bank.

That's what I was thinking at 4am. I don't use an oven though - no 220V without a generator. Wondering if an Amish baker could cook them for me. 

Slicing them up for french fries prior to baking should allow them to be frozen and easily used. I would think anyway - I'm no cook by any means.