I need advice

Options
lightsky
lightsky Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
I just placed an order for a cloud energy 1.5KVA/12v non hybrid transformer based inverter.
After a few research I notice a lot of people use and recommend Transformerless inverters, right now I'm confused which to choose.
My current load is below 600w.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Low frequency ( LF )  transformer based inverters have advantages over high frequency ( HF ) transformerless in that they are able to support higher  surges in load current for longer durations, this is particularly important if motor loads are to be powered. Transformers are more reliable than the MOSFET's used in high frequency switching especially at higher power but do add to the overall mass and footprint of a given rated unit.

Price wise HF are less expensive but are not well suited to industrial type loads, so it really depends on load type and or budget, the better choice in my opinion are LF types if you can afford it, others may have differing opinions.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/knowledge/high-vs-low-frequency-inverters/inversion-methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • lightsky
    lightsky Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Options
    @mcgivor,
    Thanks for your comment, though the transformer based inverter is within my budget, I was concern about it efficiency, idle power consumption.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The idle consumption has little to do with the type of inverter but rather with  the individual manufacturer, getting the actual amount from the specifications before purchasing is important, some have a energy conserving search feature which wakes up the inverter when a load greater than the preset value is present. It must be noted that some smaller loads such as LED lights may be insufficient to activate the feature.

All types must use some amount of energy to be in standby, a tare load of 20W or less would be in the good category, the Cloud website has no information on the amount it uses, the specifications prompt reveals nothing, I would contact them directly to get the information.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.