24 v inverter efficentcy

Options
alcatel99
alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
i know it depends on quality and useage but how much more efficent is a 24 v inveterr than a 12v inverter give the same amp//hr battery bank running the different voltages hope that is understandable.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    edited August 2020 #2
    Options
    Here is a nice data sheet for Victron products--Same wattage across 12/24/48 volts and from small to medium sized:

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Phoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-DS.pdf

According to their chart, there is around a 1% difference between 12 volt and 24/48 volt inverters (higher VDC input, slightly more efficient).

Notice the larger the Wattage Inverter, the higher the "Zero Power" (Tare losses) are.

More or less, find the smallest (Wattage) inverter that will meet your needs. Small loads on large inverters are generally less efficient (higher zero power/tare losses).

PSW/TSW inverters tend to have higher tare losses vs MSW.

Inductive/non-linear loads tend to be much less efficient on MSW inverters vs PSW. The "lost MSW energy" ends up in the induction motor / transformer / some power supplies as "waste heat" (can be damaging--Shorten the life or even kill some devices).

The bigger issue is problems sending 12 volt power (current) with low voltage drop any distance over a few feet... You need very heavy copper cable to keep the 12 volt wiring voltage drop to less than ~0.5 volts (or loads) or less than ~0.1 to 0.05 volts for charger to battery bank connections.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One example is the specs on the old Trace DR series inverters. The 12 volt DR1512 has a surge rating of 3500 watts for a minute while the otherwise identical 24 volt DR 1524 has a one minute surge rating of 4400 watts.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • alcatel99
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, Is your forum name in any way related to Alcatel Lucent Batteries? I had a starter set of some 145 ah. Alcatel AGM's. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• alcatel99
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys  no its my phone make