Lost the control dial for Ideal 61-766 ampmeter.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Hoping that many ampmeters have somewhat similar control dials and figuring they are quite easily knocked off - has anybody here devised a good way to operate such ampmeter control dials? 

This was a nice ampmeter. Have not found a tool that works well at all for twisting the control dial. Ebay and Amazon hold no hope at the moment. 

Never hurts to ask. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I have a friend that had a similar problem.  A rotating switch had fallen off and lost.  I went to HomeDepot and found that a rotary light dimmer knob had exactly the same diameter and bought that.  It worked!  You might want to measure what you need and go scour the hardware store.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • softdown
    edited September 2020 #3
    Good idea!
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #4
    How about one those free or almost free DVM's from harbor freight. no big loss if the dial wont fit and if not at least you will have a cheap DVM to use till you figure it out.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    edited September 2020 #5
    How about one those free or almost free DVM's from harbor freight. no big loss if the dial wont fit and if not at least you will have a cheap DVM to use till you figure it out.
    I have two Ideal's. It just happens that they get used a great deal so I feel naked with only one working. The plastic attachment apparatus is very small. Continual use of needle nose pliers would destroy it quite quickly.

Sent an email to Ideal of Canada. Would have been shocked by a proper response. 

Should not have taken a good ampmeter to repair to repair a torn up rental. I had no idea just how torn up a rental can become. Beware the Rent to Own, paying a significant deposit means nothing as it turns out. Two families living in 600 sq. ft! Parents often let their kids behave as animals these days.

I'd like to keep the house due to its economy and ultra quiet neighborhood - no close neighbors. But renters keep tearing it up and the trip is far too long. A quandary. Weather is perfect there during the winter. But the neighborhood isn't nice enough to attract northern snowbirds - I am told. Surely there are economy minded snowbirds this year? 

EDIT: They responded!  "Unfortunately the 61-766 was discontinued in 2010 and we no longer have parts for it.  The replacement tester is the 61-763 which retails for about $350 at your local distributor."

I respect companies that service what they sell. Big reason to stick with reputable companies.