Trace XANTREK SW inverter series with 4.01 software

Options
Morning 

I need some configuration guidance for domestic application. Currently running 6 12V wet deap cycle Marine batteries. Stove, fridge + heating are running off propane. radiating floor system with also running with propane. House is running off 120 and have changed all bulbes to LED. 

At Issue:

1. house won’t last for more than one day with no sun 
2. Inverter does not recognize my 3500 generator when I manually plug it in..

Im convinced it’s a programming issue. page 124 of the manual outlines all the parameters but top line, I’m not the one who installed the system & 2 don’t really know what I’m doing ! 

Located in the middle of the golf of St-Laurent and no one on the island really knows what their doing either !! 

So! Does anyone have any experience with this inverter ? Any insight or step by sept suggestions would be most welcome.

Claude 

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might be a good time to rebuild the system with modern equipment that is supportable. Trace was a return to factory for firmware so that will not help you. They are long out of business. A new 24 or 48v inverter and golf batteries would be an easy choice for you. Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First thing would be to check AC output freq of generator.  Killl-A-Watt or most recent DVM's read frequency,

Next would be to try feeding gen into AC1 port instead of AC2 port.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    You can also try putting a load on the generator. Use a 100 filament lamp or small electric heater to stabilize the generator output.

And if I remember correctly (very well could be wrong), there is a fine set of wires that connects to a current transformer on the AC input. At times the solder joint or fine wire can break.

This post had some facilities that repair older inverters, if you still want to try that:

Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Claude,

There should be one LED for AC1,   and another,  for AC2.   When the generator is running,  do you see an LED light  blinking?  

In addition to any current sense transformer,   IIRC,  there is a tiny transformer that senses each AC input.   The primary wire is very small,  probably about 40 AWG,  or so.   Sometimes,  vibration,  thermal cycling,   etc,  can cause this tiny wire to break.   This can make the inverter oblivious to any AC input.   The flashing LED would indicate that the transformer for the AC input to which the genset is connected,   is still good.

The LED flashes while the inverter Qualifies the input,   and tries to sync itself with the AC output waveform of the inverter.

The Trace and Xantrex inverters are very bullet proof,  rugged inverter/chargers.   Many have been in service,  for 20,  or so years   ...

FWIW,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #7
    Options
    I doubt you would have sense transformer issue on AC_2 gen input as less chance of grid surge voltage.

Generator, beside being close to correct freq, cannot be wobbling in rpm speed due to unstable speed govenor control.  The inverter cannot connect to a moving target very well.

I had a lightning hit on power lines in area that popped the primary 120vac side of AC_1 voltage sense transformer.  Luckily it had about eighth of inch of fine wire that wasn't vaporized coming out of transformer bobbin that I was able to patch to terminal post and get it working again.  It transforms 120vac to about 13 vac that is fed to controller board to read AC in voltage.

With transformer open the controller sees no AC in.  The LED will not even flash.  Flashing means it sees AC voltage but has not locked on its voltage/phase yet.  There is one small transform for AC1 and one for AC2 inputs.  It is probably a standard 120vac to 12.6 vac transformer but if ratio doesn't match original there may be controller board recalibration adjustment required to read the correct voltage which is also used to adjust inverter to match AC_in voltage as part of the lock-on process..

I have put in a couple of posts on this topc including schematic of AC input board.