Washing ash from PV panels

mike95490
mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ash + Water = Lye
Lye attacks & dissolves aluminum

Maybe hit the panels first with a leaf blower and then flood them with water and more water ?

Other suggestions  ?

( I'm currently just outside an evac warning zone for the OAK fire in northern california, but most of our ash and smoke is from the August complex 60 miles away. pic is from 1pm yesterday when I was running the generator )
Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
|| Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
|| VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Wash during the AM or by noon so that the water can evaporate instead of providing a conductive path (when mixed with the ash) and cause even more problems (i.e., "dry" ash is probably less of an issue than water+some ash mixed in).

One time, I got a Windex (or similar) window soap bottle that fit on the end of a garden hose (soap sprayer). I was surprised at how well that cleaned windows and solar panels without any scrubbing (my windows are behind screens and solar panels had some leaf litter and "leaf tea" dried on, did not want to do them wash my windows one by one).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here is what we should all be doing:   ( Not you Mike  ;) )

1. Make sure PG&E has your most updated phone number. You can do this online here or call 1-866-743-6589.You will be alerted if a PSPS is scheduled that might affect you. 
    2.  If you have special medical needs, please sign up for medical baseline here. You will receive extra notifications to give you time to prepare, but you must respond to by responding to phone calls and texts, so they know you have received the warning.
    3. Sign up for alerts from the Mariposa Sherriff’s Department here. 
    4. Contact the local law enforcement office so that someone will come and check on you in case of evacuation.
    5. If you hear that a PSPS is scheduled, do an address lookup at https://pgealerts.alerts.pge.com/addresslookup/ to see if your address is scheduled for a PSPS shutdown and if the power is out, when it might be restored.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Governor still believes that these fires are all caused by global warming. That is his line today.

So, let us just say he is right. What in the HE double toothpicks are we going to do about Forest Management? 
    Even if fires are caused by ciggerate buts, normal lightning strikes, or someone who has trained squirrels to use matches.

The Fuel load is still here, 

it will be next year, and it will be 10 years from now unless Forestry deals with this without being muzzled by the one party government here. Talk to Firefighters in Arizona, they will tell you we are off the rail on Forestry in California.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited September 2020 #5
    Got to love the internet. Squirrel with matches:

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blow them off with a leaf blower then clean them with a microfiber mop (Libman Wonder mop is MF and cheap) and
    some water and TSP solution. Rinse thoroughly.
    You lost me at the TSP, which is not approved for PV panels.  TSP is almost as base as the Lye you are trying to remove.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Trukinbear
    Trukinbear Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited October 2020 #7
    mike95490 said:
    You lost me at the TSP, which is not approved for PV panels.  TSP is almost as base as the Lye you are trying to remove.

Fine, don't take my advise - I worked for three days and tried over a dozen products and the panels cleaned with the TSP are the only ones that have returned to their pre-ash production levels. Second best was Dawn, that panel is at about 90% - soap film I think. All the others left either a film, or didn't remove enough of the ash. We had 1/2 inch of ash on nearly horizontal panels, followed by heavy dew - it made a concrete like substance.

SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
    JA Solar 330W 'Cypress series' 72 cell panels (18)
    MidNite Solar Classic 250 MPPT charge controllers (2)
    MidNite Solar MODBUS/Canbus communications adaptor for Sunny Island
    MidNite Solar SMA-OG E-panel
    MidNite Solar WhizBang Jr current sensor
    MidNite Solar MNSPD300V surge protection device (3)
    MidNite Solar MNSHUNT 50mv/500A DC shunt
    MidNite Solar MNSOB3R-4P PV array shut off box
    MidNite Solar Birdhouse 1 RSS initiator
    MidNite Solar Battery disconnect module
    MidNite Solar Disconnect PSB
    Atkinson GSCM mini-i generator start module
    Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000 8HDKAK diesel inverter generator
    Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-3200 3.2HDZAA diesel cycloconverter generator
    24-125-11 Monterey Industrial 'Big Sur' 986Ah 48V battery
    285-gallon diesel fuel tank
    Off the grid on the PNW coast
  • Trukinbear
    Trukinbear Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't sweep them with a broom - I don't care how soft you think it is. I've got one badly scratched panel to show for it. 

SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
    JA Solar 330W 'Cypress series' 72 cell panels (18)
    MidNite Solar Classic 250 MPPT charge controllers (2)
    MidNite Solar MODBUS/Canbus communications adaptor for Sunny Island
    MidNite Solar SMA-OG E-panel
    MidNite Solar WhizBang Jr current sensor
    MidNite Solar MNSPD300V surge protection device (3)
    MidNite Solar MNSHUNT 50mv/500A DC shunt
    MidNite Solar MNSOB3R-4P PV array shut off box
    MidNite Solar Birdhouse 1 RSS initiator
    MidNite Solar Battery disconnect module
    MidNite Solar Disconnect PSB
    Atkinson GSCM mini-i generator start module
    Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000 8HDKAK diesel inverter generator
    Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-3200 3.2HDZAA diesel cycloconverter generator
    24-125-11 Monterey Industrial 'Big Sur' 986Ah 48V battery
    285-gallon diesel fuel tank
    Off the grid on the PNW coast