Help needed wiring AC Disconnect....

Options
DesertRat
DesertRat Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
Need help in determining where to properly connect wires inside AC disconnect. I have attached the Electrical diagram to save time in explaining the set up.  This is an ungrounded system using SMA transformerless inverters.

Do the wires coming from the Solar side connect to the Load or Line side lugs of the AC disconnect?  

Does the Neutral (white) go directly thru the Disconnect and terminate in the Service Panel (SP)?  I had bought a Neutral Kit for the Disconnect but maybe I don't need it if the Neutral terminates inside the SP.

Does the AC Disconnect need to be grounded?  I am using Sch 80 PVC for wire runs above ground.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    If I understand your questions correctly, the Line side of the disconnect should face the main panel/power meter. And the load side should be towards the GT inverters.

The Neutral should be a straight run from the main panel to the GT Inverter neutral connection (2x GT inverters, 2x Neutral Runs). On a typical 240 VAC GT inverter, the neutral carries next to zero current... Generally just used by the GT inverter as a "qualifying" signal (that Neutral to L1 and/or L2 line voltages are correct--And there is the neutral is not "broken"). There may also be a qualification of safety ground to neutral/L1/L2 (to check that ground connections are good). You still want the metal chassis of the GT inverter(s) to be safety grounded in case there is a Hot to Ground short in the future.

Regarding grounding... Any metal electrical box (such as the Disconnect, GT inverter, etc., that contains AC power (or even DC from array), should be safety grounded (by metal conduit and/or green/bare copper wire--Depending on your local code/installation). You do not want a short from Hot to Metal to energize the metal enclosure and electrocute somebody.

Did I get this right?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DesertRat
    Options
    BB,

I got it.  In my case, Neutral from Load center goes straight thru Disconnect to Service Panel.  I will ground the AC disconnect with a green/bare copper wire and terminate it on the ground strip at Service Panel.

You mention about the GT inverter being grounded.  I am unclear on this.  I am using the SMA 7.7 inverters which are transformless and it says this is an ungrounded system so I don't know what to do with the Ground wire coming from the IronRidge rack.  Should I should make another post for this as this post was for AC disconnect and just want to keep things flowing correctly.
  • BB.
    Options
    DR,

I am fine with you keeping this thread open... It is discussing your system and a little history does not hurt.

I think--That "ungrounded" is referring to the solar panel connections... The transformer based GT systems usually (always?) grounded one leg of the solar panels through a fuse/breaker (typically the negative lead) and used a fuse between negative and safety ground. If there was, for example, a short between Array Positive and safety ground, it popped the fuse (or circuit breaker) and shut down the GT inverter (or solar charge controller/etc. in an off grid system).

With transformerless GT inverters (transformer = big, heavy, lots of copper, and expensive), neither the positive or negative array connections are ground referenced. Basically they are referenced to the 240 VAC line (switching/inductors/etc.).

For North American 120/240 VAC split phase power, we have the ground referenced Neutral, and L1/L2 (Lx to neutral=120VAC; L1 to L2 = 240 VAC). So--Even the L1/L2 leads are ground referenced (through the center-tap of the pole transformer)--Just not "at ground" --- Unlike Neutral which is ground bonded back at the main panel/cold water pipe/main home ground rod so always at or very close to ground.

What does that mean for wiring an "ungrounded"/transformerless GT inverter? (Remember, I am no expert at this, and have never had any training by any GT Solar Mfg.)--As I understand... You simply wire as normal.

Green/Bare copper wire from safety ground (in main panel, possibly via metal conduit) that connects all electrical boxes and system chassis (such as the GT inverter) as normal/appropriate. There is simply no internal to the GT inverter connection between Solar +/- to any local ground or fuse or breaker (some GT inverters had an option for  negative or positive grounding--From many years ago when one brand of solar panels needed positive grounding for proper/long term operation).

The green wire "safety ground" is there to ensure that no exposed "metal box/chassis" becomes "hot" and can electrocute somebody--Typically a short circuit to chassis will trip a branch circuit breaker back in the main panel (or sub panel, internal fusing in device, etc.). That is what the safety ground is supposed to do (carry fault current back to the source and trip the breaker).

For grounding of the solar rack mounts and panel frames. Of course, you just follow code as normal. If you do not have lightning in the area, you could run the array ground to the green grounding screw inside the GT inverter (follow the installation instructions and code/inspector requires for your area).

If you have lighting in your area... My suggestion is along the lines of: Run a minimum of 6 AWG copper wire from panels/rack (supposed to be a solid one piece wire, no wire nuts or connections--Although other "permanent" connections like thermal or crimp(?) are allowed) straight down the outside wall to a ground rod at the base of the wall. (Do not bring this lighting ground inside your home/building--Keep outside--And Lightning wants to go to the "perimeter of the building anyway). At the base of the wall/rod, use soft rounded turns... Not right angle (Radio Frequency rules--Right turn make higher "impedance" (complex resistance) and lightning will have a tendency to leave the wire at the right angle and find another path to ground).

I also highly suggest that you connect the "local lightning ground rod" via 6 AWG to the main building ground (cold water pipe, main ground rod, etc.). This is so that if there is a short circuit from array to rack to lightning ground, that the return current will go back to the main panel and trip a circuit breaker--Rather than "energize" the array frames/racking and possibly electrocuting somebody.

The above is a quick suggestion... NEC code has always been a little "weak" on lightning grounding rules. The connection from local ground back to main ground via 6 AWG minimum cabling has not been required in the past--But is really needed for safety. The resistance from a "local ground" back to the building ground can be so high, that the current flow to a local ground short does not allow enough current to flow and trip the branch circuit breaker--Not good. For example, assuming 25 Ohms maximum resistance (limit for NEC as I recall):
    • 120 VAC Lx to ground / 25 Ohms = 4.8 Amps current flow (not enough to trip a 15+ Amp breaker)
    Does this make sense/answer your questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DesertRat
    Options
     Bill, thanks for the story book LOL. There is a lot that I don’t know so I will have to reread your answer and I will get back in touch. Thanks 
  • DesertRat
    edited August 2020 #6
    Options
    Ok,  Been busy and just got and reread BB's post.  I have attached Electrical Schematic for my system and highlighted in red my area of concern with grounding.

There are 2 arrays and 2 inverters in the ground mounted Grid Tied system and I am using Sch 40 and 80 PVC.  The inverters are SunnyBoy Transformerless.  All the grounding is suppose to be at the earth ground in the Main Service Panel (MSP) which is located 40 feet from Inverters.

So if I am correct, the 10AWG DC grounds (1-1A) from the IronRidge rack enter the inverters on the DC side and connect there.  On the AC side of the inverters the 10AWG AC grounds (2-2A) come out and into the 125A Load Center.  They would then connect with the 8AWG ground inside the Load Center and be a continuous run to the Main Service Panel and connect to earth ground.  To ground the AC disconnect I am running a separate 10AWG ground wire into the MSP. 

Edit...Attached photos of layout for reference if needed.

Question.....

1.  Can the (2)10AWG AC grounds from the inverters be connected together inside the 125A Load Center with the 8AWG ground or do they have to run separate.  In either case how are they connected to stay within NEC code?
    2.  How do I ground the 125A Load Center?

Thanks for any input.

• BB.
    Options
    You may need to buy the latest (the "correct" NEC 20xx code for your local city/county inspectors) and read the grounding sections.

It has been too many years since I have looked at the NEC, and I was working with equipment mfg., not home/commercial NEC.

The grounding wires can be smaller than the main power leads (in some cases)--But the easiest is to use the same AWG as the rest of the wires in the circuit.

The other issue is that sometimes the metal conduit can be used as grounding connection--But there are regulations about this too (cannot use flexible conduit, etc.---As I recall). Pulling a ground wire with all wiring runs should not cause problems.

Here is a Mike Holt article about grounding:

https://ask-the-electrician.com/electrical/electrical-code/electrical-grounding.html

Here is a list of code sections regarding grounding (complex, may be an older article so references may be slightly out of date):

https://ask-the-electrician.com/electrical/electrical-code/electrical-grounding.html

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    BB,

Thanks.  In regards to your reply, 

The grounding wires can be smaller than the main power leads (in some cases)--But the easiest is to use the same AWG as the rest of the wires in the circuit.

The Electrical Engineer's Schematic shows 10AWG ground being connected to 8AWG ground (which I assume is correct) and was wondering how are they connected so as to keep the ground a continuous/unbroken run to the earth ground in the Main service Panel.
  • DesertRat
    Options
    Forgot to ask.  How do i get an email notification that someone has replied to the post?
  • BB.
    Options
    To edit your notifications, click on your name and then (perhaps edit account first then) edit preferences:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/preferences/

The menus are sometimes a bit different for me (moderator options)--But the above direct link should work for anyone.

This is from 40 years ago (my last time I helped wire in a main panel)--More or less, the requirement for ground wire from cold water pipe to main panel is 6 AWG bare minimum (up to a 125 or 200 amp panel?). However, at the time, we could also use insulated 8 AWG for ground connection from ground rod to main panel... A big part of the minimum size of the wire was so that "life" (guy with shovel or weed eater) would not break a smaller AWG cable.

Roughly a bare 6 AWG copper wire will "fuse" (burn open) around 600 amps. Enough to trip the main breaker (125 Amps or bigger?) if there is a short.

All wiring and grounding from the main panel through breaker to loads (branch circuits) are based on code for that circuit (i.e., 15 Amp breaker, 14 AWG cable, 20 Amp breaker is 12 AWG, and so on). A simplified chart here:

https://lugsdirect.com/WireCurrentAmpacitiesNEC-Table-301-16.htm

As you can see, material (aluminum or copper) and insulation type affect the current rating of the wire. Also, conduit fill and ambient temperatures affect ratings too (wire in home wall, vs wire in conduit on roof for solar panels).

The actual NEC Code Book has all sorts of tables and deratings based on the above requirements.

The "unbroken" ground wire requirement is from the ground rod/cold water pipe to the ground bus in the main panel. You can use crimp or thermal bonded connections--But cannot use wire nuts or cable clamps. The idea being that "somebody" cannot easily disconnect the ground wire (somewhere in wall/j-box) and easily defeat the safety ground system.

For devices (appliances, etc.) there is a separate safety ground wire connection. And if there is need for additional ground wire connect on a chassis mounted ground stud (for example), the safety ground wire has the first nut and lock washer, and any additional device grounds  are "stacked" on top of the safety ground+nut (again, so that somebody working on the device must physically disconnect the safety ground, and not accidentally disconnect while working on other portions of the device).

I don't believe there is an "unbroken" ground wire requirement for branch circuits... Just run (for example) a ground wire from the main panel ground to the first box/switch box. And then run a second ground wire from that box to the GT inverter's chassis ground, etc....

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    BB,

Thanks for all the info.  I am going to run the grounds and call the local inspector for any input.  I will post results.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 #12
    Options
    I doubt they will let you have #8 cable through disconnect switch with 80 amp breakers. #8 may not blow 80 amp breaker if shorted out.  Should be #2 with 80 amp breaker, min of #6 for grounding.

Should have #8 from each inverter to 125A load box.. 40 amp breaker requires #8 and inverters put out 32 amps at max..  I prefer the inverters have grounding of same #8 because of higher likelyhood of short from lightning.

Switch box must be grounded to panel box and load box.  Don't need neutral unless GT inverters need it for some reason although might be good to do it just in case of future need.  I normally use same gauge for ground although you can downside to #6 on larger power lines..

The grounding wires with their length resistance must be sure enough to blow the instant mag field surge breaker function they are associated with if shorted out against a 120 vac leg.  The short circuit mag field function trip is sloppy tolerance but is about 2x+ the breaker rating which is the bimetal average current breaker function.
  • BB.
    Options
    From my limited experience, the newer GT inverter(s) (say less than 10-15 years old), use the Neutral to qualify the L1/L2/Neutral voltages (to make sure that the neutral is already connected back to the main panel/pole transformer).

If you don't have L1/Neutral of ~120 VAC, the GT inverter will not qualify the connection (don't know if L1 or L2 to Neutral, or both to neutral is qualified). So bringing a neutral is usually a requirement (I think).

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    RCinFLA,

Are you saying that the Ground wire that runs thru the AC Disconnect to Earth Ground needs to be a 2AWG?  The L1, L2 and Neutral are 3AWG going to the AC Disconnect and then to the Service Panel.  The Neutral will bypass the disconnect and connect in the Service Panel.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 #15
    Options
    No, for the short length #6 should be okay.  I got a bit off track not understanding question was only applying to grounding wire.

For grounding wire you want to make sure the gauge is large enough that the circuit breaker short circuit trip is triggered if either L1 or L2 leg is momentarily shorted to box case.

Circuit breakers have two trip functions.  The one everyone thinks about is the rated amperage which is caused by bi-metalic trigger latch heating.  The other is the magnetic quick trip intended for shorts.  The short circuit quick trip is much higher amperage then the average rating.   I probably got the number I stated wrong as it is higher then 2.5x the rated. 

You don't want too much ground wire resistance that it limits the short circuit current preventing the mag quick trip from working on the breaker.
  • DesertRat
    Options
    RCinFLA,

Thanks for clearing that up.  Question I have is what type of connector to use to connect the two Grounds from the Inverters to the Ground going back to the Service Panel.  I was informed that it had to be an irreversible connector.

Also, here is a pic from the internet of the Load Center I have and it does not have a place to attach a ground wire.  Is it the same Ground wire that will run back to Service Panel.  Sorry for not knowing this stuff.

• BB.
    Options
    Do you have a brand/model number for the box?

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    Bill,

It is a Square D HOM48L125GRB.
  • BB.
    Options
    I found the website for this load center:

https://www.se.com/us/en/product/HOM48L125GRB/load-center%2C-homeline%2C-1-phase%2C-4-spaces%2C-8-circuits%2C-125a-fixed-main-lugs%2C-nema3r%2C-grnd-bar/

On the lower left side of the page, are several video links including how to ground bond the neutral bar and how to install a ground bar...

I looking at your photo above, I do not see a ground bond for your neutral bar (you would bond neutral/ground if main panel, and leave floating for sub panel), and I do not see any earth ground symbol for where to mount a ground bar--Although, it is possible that you have a location on the side of the enclosure that we cannot see in the photo...

I have had an electrician use a self drilling/tapping green screw to attach a wire lug of some sort (been a number of years since I was helping him) to add a ground connection to a (60 year old) main panel to add a ground wire connection (none present in old box)....

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    Your are correct.  I looked and there is no Ground symbol in the box.  I will have to find out how to make the connection.
  • BB.
    Options
    If you do your own ground bus connection, I think this is what the electrician used:

To drill and tap a 10-32 hole:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-1-4-in-High-Speed-Steel-6-32-Drill-Tap-32237/304788329?modalType=drawer

This is a an oversized (for this box) example of an isolated Neutral Bus bar:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-Insulated-Neutral-Bar-Kit-23-Positions-ECLX210M/202315494?modalType=drawer

Four terminal Square D ground bus bar:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-4-Terminal-Ground-Bar-Kit-PK4GTACP/100207842?modalType=drawer

This is another grounding/neutral connection document from NEC 2008:

http://www.adamselectric.coop/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Grounding-Bonding.pdf

I am trying to figure out how to use the Schneider box without any support tor insulated Neutral and ground bus bar connection points.... It does not make a lot of sense unless you add the additional ground/neutral connection points (and for current panels, I would have expected pre-drilled/dimpled locators and marked with a ground symbol or several).

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options
    Found copper single hole lugs that could be used for ground connections in a box (I think):

https://www.homedepot.com/s/copper%2520single%2520hole%2520%2520lug?NCNI-5

-Bill
  • DesertRat
    Options
    Thanks Bill I will look at those.
  • BB.
    Options
    Homedepot also has some other lugs:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/copper%2520lug?NCNI-5

-Bill