Repair to MX60 soft buttons

Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
I have an mx60 which is still working with the exception of the display buttons. I googled around and it seems this is repairable but I am just looking to sell the unit. can you experts advise me if I should just junk it sell it for parts or advertise it for sale for expert repairing and use in their systems?
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Free.,

Am sure that your Searches lead you to the OB Forum:
    http://outbackpower.com/forum/

IIRC,  the keypad can be removed,   and the contact area of the buttons,  and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned with a gentle solvent  --  perhaps denatured or isopropyl aclohol (both in short-supply,  these days).

Good Luck,   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a video showing how to replace the buttons and display etc.  Not sure if it is still around or not ?
    I think that OB says that the old keypad is different than the new keypad but they are the same.
    Sometimes you can clean them but not always.  The conductive pellets sometimes just go away.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    The last time I heard about this from an aquaintence it was a "send to OB for service work" item.  Years before I was sent a new button board, instructions and video for the same replacement.  Dissapointing that any service work required removal, shipping, receiving and re-installing instead of just home repairs.
  • Freewilley
    I will not try to repair....I guess I will put it on EBAY cheap for parts or repair.
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @DickyDck was looking for a quality MPPT charge controller he could pickup cheap. (I haven't gotten off my backside to check out a beater I have, maybe he would be interested)

You are welcome to post items for sale here, I think there's a section for that (or maybe the off topic group)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • DickyDck
    DickyDck Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Hello and thanks for remembering me @Photowhit

Yes I would be interested in the unit for a play fix unit, hit me up and let me know what you are asking.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem, thanks for putting up with my @DickyDck, It's been an interesting year...  ...for everyone!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Can an MX60 be programmed by a Mate, or just observed?  
  • Freewilley
    Sold it on Ebay to a fellow Canadian for $65 CDN
  • nlewis1111
    nlewis1111 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Also had the same problem of a key no longer making contact, so I did an inelegant thing and 'cut' the problem soft key out.
    Hope the attached pictures show what I did. I just used a skinny screwdriver to poke holes in the silicone and take the soft key out through the front. Then I put a couple copper 'leads on to make contact. I probably might go and get some silver paste to make a hopefully longer lasting solution, but this seemed way easier than disconnecting everything and disassembling the whole charge controller. Seems to make contact now, but have to press harder than the other keys.