Running LG washer off solar, NO BATTERIES

NANOcontrol
NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
Did my first laundry today running off solar panels. No battery needed.  For those days when it is sunny.  Panel voltage fed directly into a MSW inverter using only the H bridge section to create AC. We only do laundry when it is sunny anyway as it has to be line dry. I can't get used to not hearing the generator run!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited July 2020 #2
    There is one brand "Must" that has (a couple/few??) AC inverters that are rated to run directly from solar panels without batteries:

https://www.mustsolar.com/

https://www.mustsolar.com/pv1800-pro-series-high-frequency-off-grid-solar-inverter-3-5-2kw/
    • Pure sine wave output
    • Smart LCD setting (Working modes, Charge Current, Charge Voltage, etc).
    • Built-in MPPT 80A solar charge controller
    • MAX PV Array Open Circuit Voltage: 450V
    • Can provide the power to the load without battery
    • Combining solar system, AC utility, and battery power source to supply continuous power
    • Overload, short circuit and Deep discharge protection
    • Cold start function
    • Support USB, RS485 monitoring function with free CD
    • WIFI remote monitoring (optional)
    • Compatible to generator
    • Can Run Without Battery
    https://www.mustsolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/PV1800-PRO-%E4%BA%A7%E5%93%81%E6%8A%98%E9%A1%B5-191231%E6%8D%A2%E9%9D%A2%E6%9D%BF-%E4%BA%8C%E8%AF%BE.pdf

Don't know anything about the company or their inverters--But have seen "Must" talked about a few times on the forum.

It is an MPPT based solar input--So if it will function without a battery bank--Sounds like a very capable unit.

Your mileage may vary...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NANOcontrol
    It probably costs more than mine. Which was nothing. This washer has a capacitive voltage doubler and it likes squared off waves.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting concept that I had not considered. And an area where a 12 volt or 24 volt inverter (vs 48 volt) would have a big advantage with just about any inverter. One could use absolutely minimal batteries so long as they provided ~ 12 or 24 volts. Hmmm.

But is this system advantageous to a generator? Outside of the noise? And gasoline/diesel usage of course.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    NANO,

It is a common request (running AC loads from solar panels only)... I had run across the MUST specifications before and forgot to make a post/note about the product. So, thought it was worth mentioning in you thread about successfully running a washer directly with solar panels and no batteries.

If I recall correctly, Missouri Wind & Sun made a "black box" that would cycle solar power to an AC inverter. The issue being that many AC inverters shut down with low "battery voltage" on the DC input. He made a box that would cycle the DC power to reset/restart the AC inverter.

That was many years ago--Seems like he had made an integrated product (black box+AC inverter) to do this now:

https://mwands.com/suntaqe-inverter-charger

I have never seen or used the system--Just an FYI on how one company address there issues with "off the shelf" inverters running without batteries.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NANOcontrol
    edited July 2020 #6
    Advantage. I stay at my camp a little more than 4 months a year. I only use a car battery. It is from a vehicle I don't bring. Leaving it in the car with a solar charger would only sulfate it from non use. So that is what powers my house and that give me normal battery life. I like camp living as you are really in touch with things.

The clothes washer fits in with that, Wash the clothes when it is sunny. The couple hundred watt load is minimal for the array. I have high tech diversion to heat water and that prevents the array voltage from going over power point voltage. Nothing to worry about except a massive cloud coming over.  This washer remembers where it was last. Powering it back up after a low voltage fault isn't a problem as I am out in the garage anyway. I even have a dishwasher with heated dry.

And of course I run a fridge.  Most solar systems have horrible energy management. Amazing what you can do with real time energy management. Battery never drops below 10% discharge.  It better work even thru rain because that battery keeps me alive at night.
    I remember that Missouri Wind & Sun box. Anything from them is pure hokum. Avoid those people.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 #7
    Interesting - 100% positve feedback with 22,500 plus ratings. https://www.ebay.com/usr/missouriwind?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • NANOcontrol
    You buy something, they ship it, you get it, LIKE.  It's like a new girlfriend. It takes time to figure things out. I hear of plenty of unhappy people.