Sensata Dimensions Inverter

Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
I found a 1800watt/12v Sensata Dimensions inverter for $300. From the bit of researching I've done they seems to be high quality and expensive. 
Will it work for a smaller 100 watt solar panel with two rv/marine batteries? Would use it only once in awhile, not continuous. 
Any advice or experience on this inverter is much appreciated. 

Comments

• KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Just my opinion but you are going about it backwards, determine your loads and then plan the system accordingly.  I had/have a magnum MS2012 inverter charger and it could run a small 6000 btu spot AC in my camper for about 5 hours with no solar input on two 200 amp hour deep cycles so 400 a/h total.  I had my cutoff set at 60% as I was testing the system so it really depends upon the load you plan on running.  if you are using to recharge a laptop a phone and a few lights (LED of course) then it would probably run it for an entire day without the panel, but if you are pulling any heavy loads it will draw down quickly.  obviously any input from the pane will help offset the juiice being used, but not enough to keep you batteries charged while running that inverter at full tilt.  At 300ish you should be able to buy one of several different sized samlex or cotek inverters that are not as power hungry (obviously not as many watts on tap though).  so define your load and then ask the same question.

30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 
  • Crystal
    Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kenmore for your repsonse.
    Yes, I have determined my loads. I have a blender that is 1400watt at full speed. And a food dehydrator at 600watt which I will only use on these hot and humid Minnesota summer days when the humidity level doesn't allow things to air dry.
    I will not use them at the same time.
    All my other loads (phone and light) are run off a different all in one system. Which works brilliantly!

So the Sensata Dimensions takes alot of power compared to Samlex or you're just saying get a smaller watt inverter? I'm familiar with Samlex and have a 300 watt one right now. I looked into linking another 1500watt inverter, but read its not recommended. 

So yes my question still stands...is Sensata Dimensions a good inverter? 

Thanks!

• KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    all have used are samlex, magnum and xantrex I have not tried out the Sensata, though they bought out magnum...Not having read any previous posts by you I did not know your intended use, and as such was addressing the question you asked about if it would work with a 100 watt panels and two marine batteries.  two 100 amp marine batteries would probablly give you about 1 hour of use, maybe two if the panel was charging at the time.  thats assuming a 50% dod upon shutting it down.  1800 watts full bore is going to pull down about 140-150 amps when fully charged and rise as the voltage drops.  
    30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For 12 volt RV apps, made in the usa, pricey but should have good support.

Like Ken said, most of us use 24 or 48 volt systems here for offgrid. In that regard a 24vdc inverter/charger is a bit less from outback or Schneider. Look also at magnum, I think they build a 12v inverter charger.  Support is the key!  Stay away from companies based offshore unless you know them well. Good Luck.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    The Dimensions inverter is made for utility trucks.  Like fire trucks etc.

Not the same as the Magnum although they bought them.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any input on how Magnum is? Still keeping all the lights on?
    Here is an Amazon link to Dimensions and alot of other 12V inverters. Might help the op here.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Sensata+Dimensions&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0029-win10-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ref=aa_scomp
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net