Everything is easy - the second time you do it. Equalize those batteries.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
It is pretty easy to do! Will be super easy the next time! This is using the Outback FM80for the procedure.

Went with 60.2 volts for two hours. Could have gone higher, maybe would have gone higher but running AGMs - that can be equalized. I'm certain the AGM's caused much of the hesitancy about equalizing.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Every AGM can be equalized, it's a matter of how much damage you will do. Concorde is the only one that specifically approves regular equalizing to recover lost capacity from less than ideal charging. As you likely recall, I have hands-on experience with literally thousands of both Concorde and Fullriver. At the risk of being repetitive, all AGMs are not the same and this applies to EQ also.
    Sometimes it is a "lesser of evils" decision when trying to recover from severe undercharging. For a severe example, if equalizing takes a sulfated battery from 50% capacity to 90% capacity, I see that as a net gain - even though you permanently lost the top 10%.  When trying to recover damaged Fullriver batteries, I would do exactly what you did: slightly lower EQ voltage for shorter time periods. Repeat until you see no appreciable gain in standing voltage.
    With Concorde, I would go 62v (at 77F) for a full 8 hours. Doing this occasionally, will not cause any measurable damage. Note: Only EQ at the end of an Absorb phase, after dropping into Float.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Could not find recommended equalization procedures for Fullriver. In fact, they didn't mention it in my readings of their pdf's.

Then I overslept and missed any gains noted in AM voltage. I often measure battery bank strength partly by the voltage displayed prior to sun up charging. May not be the most scientific but it is done every single day. Lets me know of significant issues.

If my batteries discharge by 20% daily they will survive for much longer than a 33% daily discharge. Though pros are rarely happy unless they can complicate things to the degree that others decide the pros are needed. True in every niche that pros may be found.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    softdown said:
    Could not find recommended equalization procedures for Fullriver. In fact, they didn't mention it in my readings of their pdf's.

You won't find it, because they don't recommend it. I was sharing my experience.
    I do not understand the last paragraph of your post?
    Marc
  • softdown
    Just a lil jab at the "experts". D.C. is filled with experts of course.

Think I'll try 61 volts for two hours next time. Their bulk and absorb recommendation is 58.8 - pretty high. I had a few weeks of low voltage last summer - until the system failed for a day.

It wa
  • Marc Kurth
    edited July 2020 #6
    All of this advice is based on FIRST taking a static voltage and finding a reading below 12.7v. If you have not established a starting point, the rest is moot, 
    Yes, you can gain some capacity, but there is a point of diminishing returns. At some point, you reach a point where the temporary storage capacity gains seem really amazing - but you are paying for it with a reduction in long term lifespan. It is best to not get into the position needing aggressive EQ on a Fullriver AGM.
    Again, your best bet with Fullriver 8Ds is to go easy on the EQ then MEASURE the standing voltage 3-4 hours after. When you see no appreciable gain - stop. 
    Marc
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    One of those sub surface layers the Romans are laying down is clay, probably to seal from water coming up through or to facilitate water running off.  The clay was prime stuff for pottery making.  A potter would come along and dig down to pilfer some of the good clay, hence "pot hole".  At least to the best of my knowledge.