Getting shocked three times in two days - feeling a bit odd.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Got shocked whil.e locking gate yesterday. Worked on that issue today and got shocked again. Not a huge surprise really. Electric fence shocks are very unpleasant but little more - I think. Somehow got shocked again while turning everything back in - the gear is in a steel enclosure.

Also been working in the sun which takes a bigger toll than in more youthful days. Is feeling odd after shocks pause for concern? The first bolt was to the top of the head and felt a bit like a hammer blow. The hand shocks? Not as bad.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited June 2020 #2
    Do you have any power lines in the area that can "energize the soil"? (some power lines in remote areas use just one wire and the earth as return (I think--from what I have seen).

In the olden days, an electric shock was pretty much shaken off (i.e., an electrician getting bit by 120 VAC).

https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_esnoxfvg

Nowadays, the Government Agencies (like OSHA) pretty much require a trip to the doctor/ER. In the next 24 hours could be a tricky time for you (and your heart). For heavier shocks (again as I was told by a plant manager friend), electricians that got a heavier shock were automatically checked into the hospital (over night? 24 hours? Don't remember).

Not being a spring chicken anymore, and being in a remote area (nobody close by to monitor you, take you to ER--As I recall), probably should call your doctor/at least go into the ER and get a checkup/EKG.

I had a (probably) viral chest infection not too long ago, that after weeks/months finally went away, but left me with Pericarditis and Atrial fibrillation. I did not "feel" the Afib, but that can lead to all sorts of other issues (strokes, heart failure, and other terrible things--Like heart failure is not enough?). Needed to take blood thinner and wait a couple of weeks for the the old shock to the heart (under general anesthesia).

Of course, a medial diagnosis from a 1,000 miles away by an engineer over the Internet--Probably best to haul your butt over to doctor/urgent care (if they will do EKG)/ER. This is potentially very serious (more than static electric shock).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Expected laughter and teasing - already feeling more normal. My firm policy about hospitals? No go zone unless death is imminent. Not expecting death in next four hours. But thanks for the advice.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    Softdown,

Understand avoiding hospitals and ER--It was a bit funny driving into the hospital up to the triage desk and saying I may presently be having a heart attack, walking into the ER, and them asking why I was not in an ambulance (me $$$$  and pretty sure I was not) and it would have take more time via ambulance than me just driving there (called an advise nurse with medical plan--And that is obviously what she wanted me to say was possible H.A.)....

If you have a local doctor/urgent care with EKG (save a lot of money), still not a bad thing if you got a good hit.

None of the simple at home stuff (blood oxygen, auto blood pressure) showed the AF. I assume a stethoscope would (hear an erratic heart beat--Upper chambers beating faster/separably from lower chambers).

There are smart phone EKG wireless EKG monitors:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smart+phone+ekg

Something in the future...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Electric fence shocks though - never heard of health issues. Or read of risks.
  • BB.
    Electric fence shock  should not be enough energy to cause health issues. You may be sore for awhile...

-Bill
  • softdown
    Was wondering why I was a bit sore this morning.
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Send you to school, buy you books,and what did you do?  you ate the friggin books...Please try to avoid urinating on electric fences  :)

30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 
  • softdown
    Put silicone aquarium tubing over the line where my head can so easily hit the energized line. Will work until the UV rays destroy it. Hands being shocked is far better than the head.
  • New_Mexico_Will
    New_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    When I was a teenager, my friends and I would take turns peeing on the electric fence to see who could take it longer.  We weren't that smart...
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a teenager, my friends and I would take turns peeing on the electric fence to see who could take it longer.  We weren't that smart...
    I can top that. My brother and sister are both older than me. We finally started getting together as adults, and my brother started telling a story about setting me on an electric fence in my diaper. He loved the story. I couldn't remember it, so just let it go. After about the third of forth time he told the story over a couple of years my sister went completely pale and zoned out. When we asked her what was wrong, she said she just realized that it wasn't me that he was setting on the electric fence, but her!

So... Yikes!  We siblings are all ok now, but my sister has obviously discovered some repressed memories!
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.