Planning a new RV Solar install, possible options and looking for opinions.

I have some parts to install on a new 5th Wheel and trying to decide what is a better layout. The parts I have as per my tag, I also have a Tristar MPPT 60A controller (will probably not use this, because I want to shift to an entirely Victron based system and have everything bluetooth to my phone), but I want to add an additional portable ground mount PV for when the rig is parked in the shade (could possibly put it on the roof, there is clearance).

I had the 3 Kyoceras in parallel in an old system (individually fused on the positive legs, because I had ports to add the 4th PV panel, just never got one), it worked well, filling up 4 Vmaxtanks 125Ah AGM's in 24V system for the last 2 years, I could even run the RV's AC for a few hours at a time. But now I will probably go Lithium (that is another question, but thinking TESLA modules, Battleborn, or alibaba prismatics) in at least 1000Ah, thinking 2 of the TESLA's for more bang for my buck, but I may have to come up with a cooling solution.

Thinking of the 24V versions, but not sure what specific Victron Charge Controller and Inverter/Chargers I should get to cover the possible 4th panel (or which panel should I look for, do I need to match Vmp and Imp exactly?). I will probably use the Trimetric 2030-RV as a secondary SoC and get the Victron 712 Battery monitor, unless I can get enough selling it locally when I list the Tristar.

Any obvious things I'm missing or should plan for?

3 Kyocera KU340-8BCA, Victron MPPT 150/100 Tr, Victron 712 with temp sense, 4 EnjoyBot 100Ah Lithium batteries,
Victron 12V 3000W Multi inverter, Cerbo GX using a AT&T Mobly for internet.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most obvious thing missing to me is loads.  What are you wanting to run, and for how long?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • DakotaJim
    DakotaJim Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Critical load is a 24V CPAP that has a humidifier, being able to run that in addition to the propane furnace in the winter or the 13.5K RV AC in the summer is what I'm planning for.
    3 Kyocera KU340-8BCA, Victron MPPT 150/100 Tr, Victron 712 with temp sense, 4 EnjoyBot 100Ah Lithium batteries,
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help to quantify the loads.  What is the current draw ('X' amps at 24v) of the CPAP.  Likewise for the furnace fan and AC.

4 x 340w panels (in full sun and properly tilted) may produce ~1000 watts.  Depending on location and season, ~ 4-5kwh/day.  A 4th panel doesn't need to match exactly, but should be "close" (eg within 10%).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • DakotaJim
    Thanks, I don't have any numbers for the furnace or AC, but the CPAP transformers are 3.75A (both 115V and 12V), I'm assuming that is the maximum; but they are pretty big, much larger than a standard wall wart, but with the heated hose and the humidifier running, it may be more. I'll run the CPAP on a power meter and see what it says.
  • DakotaJim
    After finally installing the Multi, I ran the CPAP and discovered it actually runs at 6 amps using the 115V transformer. I have also found that the 12V to 24V transformer could not run the CPAP in the RV from the 12v batteries, the CPAP would just shut down.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    DJ,

Just ot be clear, was that 6 amps @ 115 VAC input (690 Watts), or 6 amps at 12 VDC (72 Watts) (really a DC to AC inverter, not a transformer?). Or 6 amps at some other working voltage?

690 Watts is a lot of power for a small or even medium sized solar power system (690 Watts * 8 hours = 5,520 Watt*Hours of energy).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset