Inverters/chargers lifeP04 batteries

spacebass
spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
Do big inverters (3000 watt cont..) damage lithium batteries in the same way they damage lead acid batteries when run at lower outputs like not much in the night.
And if I were to buy a 3000 watt inverter/charger in which you could set the charge output to 10amps the max for my lithium battery bank  would it not damage the lithium batteries even though it did not have s lithium charging profile and I would envisage maybe finishing charge with lithium charger to bring the bank to full charge.
Thank You.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what effect you are talking about, a 3kw inverter damaging batteries overnight with low power ?

Can you be thinking of the internal losses poorly made inverters have, just being turned on, consuming 90 watts idle ?  That will flatten a good battery, regardless of it's chemistry.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• spacebass
    spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    I'm not sure what effect you are talking about, a 3kw inverter damaging batteries overnight with low power ?

Can you be thinking of the internal losses poorly made inverters have, just being turned on, consuming 90 watts idle ?  That will flatten a good battery, regardless of it's chemistry.

Ii am talking about larger inverters being run every night or any other time for long periods at say 11% load significantly shortening the length of time a lead acid battery will last it's lifespan in terms of years.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting close to 30 years offgrid. Never have had the word "damage" associated with that we do. Early on we had 4KW Trace inverters and now they are all 6.8KW. Hoping to get 15 years out of lithium and 10 years out of lead acid for my clients. Probably will.

Inverters always run, they never go off.  

Might be missing your point, explain it differently.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]