A new Problem with Fault on Xantrex Inverter

Options
spalletta
spalletta Registered Users Posts: 2
I have a GT3.3N Inverter, installed in 2008. 
It's getting the voltage from the array but as it climbs gets too about 1800 watts, full sun, midday, then stops and then again starts its slow climb then repeats. So how long is the Warranty for these and in the SF area any recommendations? any thoughts whats failing?
I don't like repeats so any recommendations on grid tie inverters ?
Thank You

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Spalletta,

The warranties at that time were either 5 years with option for 10, or later to get the rebates (at least in California), the inverters had to have a 10+ year warranty. In your case, ~12 years is (as far as I can tell) out of warranty, and a relatively good life for the inverter (I had one fail in ~3 years, and it did get replaced).

You can check with your installer and see what they can do for repairs... But for most electronics, ~5 years after end of production, replacement parts get hard to find (or vendor drops support). And at 10+ years for power electronics, unless it is a "cheap/easy" repair (or you can find a working unit on CraigsList/eBay/etc.), spending a lot of money to repair without any warranty is probably not money well spent.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • spalletta
    spalletta Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    thank you sir yes I still have a new one in the box ill replace it soon then just a bit more work than parts changeout and I'm not going to spend any more money or time on this thing, thank you again and cheers
  • jaytbeard
    jaytbeard Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    I currently have a Xantrex 3.3 Installed at home, and know I am working on borrowed time, Originally installed a GT3.0 and I replaced it because it broke down in 2012. I then installed the  GT3.3  that summer, It has been working fine since then. I cannot find any Xantrex products that are GT. I would like to increase my solar capacity. I have the available panels Mitsubushi 165b Panels 24.2v  I need some guidance on string sizing and figuring out what inverter(s) I could use to replace the Xantrex GT3.3. Any Suggestions are appreciated. I am trying to be proactive in finding what inverters will work for my situation  . I have a enough extra panels so I could go up to about a 5Kw inverter, If the strings are worked for best results.
    Jay B.