I had to switch to conext gateway for xw pro ... but missing combox modbus monitoring

2»

Comments

• shawnj72
    shawnj72 Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Dave, I myself do not use insight as I just VPN into my router and Use the web interface.  I believe there are already too many outside entities inside my home ..:-) , but I have noticed sometimes when making a change on the web interface through the gateway it doesn't change the setting on the inverter.. it has happened a few times now and just marked it up as a bug or glitch. Or maybe I was doing something wrong or it wasn't allowed for some unknown reason. .. 
  • fredk
    fredk Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I had a similar thing happen to me early on in trying to use insight2... making changes on the insight2 web interface were not reflected accurately in the inverter.. I wrote it off as either as a browser incompatibility or a bug... but either way could not afford to trust it after that and like Shawn I have a vpn into my gateway so rely on the web interface on the gateway... insight2 was fine for monitoring but not for configuration.  Configuration directly from the gateway has been fairly consistent for me. 

offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Insight2 is always being updated in the cloud.
     If you would try it again on your inverters and list the exact setting that did not update, I will forward it.
     I did 2 sites last month and the offgrid setting changes worked fine and it was very fast reacting.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• rfardonk
    rfardonk Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I was able to develop a complete new HMI app to access through Modbus/TCP: 1-Gateway, 2-XW+, 3-MPPTs 80-600, 1-BattMon, 1-AGS through Port 503.  However, this is my situation.  To access the Gateway's web interface either you go through HTTPS or you specify Port 443.  This works Locally and Remote with Port Forwarding (GSM).

If i engage my Gateway as my ModbusTCP Master (Address 1 Port 503) it works perfectly as long as im in my LAN.
    It just won't work if im Remote accessing through a DomainName or Fixed IP and doing Port Forwarding to Port 503.

Is there any restriction on the Gateway to allow only connections to por 503 from Local LAN ???
    The only other alternative is doing VPN to the site and im seen has local on the LAN and works perfectly.
    So then again,  it seems as a restriction imposed on port 503 on the Gateway.

I will try doing it to a Combox Port 502 Modbus 201 .... Remotely of course.

When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth....

• Dave Angelini
    Even if it works on combox, the Gateway has a much higher level of security because of the cloud app insight2. I would ask Schneider. Here is a link that they have been checking daily for ideas. They might bypass product support and get you to a much better and quicker answer.

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/feedback/

Insight 2 is working really well for at least 3 months now. Recent firmware 1.06 on gateway is pretty quick thru a cell modem a client has. He loves it. Much better at minimizing data use on a paid network. The digital and analog switching on gateway is getting close I heard.

• fredk
    fredk Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    sounds like an interesting hmi... I don't think you mentioned what kind of router you are coming in on... if your router supports it... you would need to turn on 'masquerading' to make your remote connections look like the local lan interface... to make your access seamless..
    I use a much simpler approach... I convert all my modbus montitoring on the local lan to mqtt and forward it to a cloud service... which then gives me monitoring access via numerous generic apps on phone or browser... or command line... from anywhere
    I only do monitoring like this... if I need to do control, I vpn in (I use a local raspberry pi to be the local modbus and vpn and mqtt hub) and then access the usual web interfaces looking like a local... not elegant but it is getting  the job done.. I do think insight2 is good solution for control of Schneider equipment... but in my case I have many other devices (home rolled) that don't fit under their umbrella and I would like a more complete overview than what Schneider offers with insight2

offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

• tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    In last 3 months I upgraded from xw4548 to xw6848 Pro.  The Titan genset I have worked fine with the 4548.  This Pro model will not qualify the very same generator.  Gateway reports --
    AC2 Voltage 213.3 V
    AC2 L1 Voltage 106.6 V
    AC2 L2 Voltage 106.7 V
    AC2 Frequency 59.4 Hz
    AC2 Power
    Yet when I kill AC1 the 6848 runs on batteries and WILL NOT feed from AC2.
    It sees the gen but even with config wide open on the settings, won't allow or qualify it.  Ideas ?

hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • SomeJ
    SomeJ Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Sorry to bring this "older"ish thread back up, but I have a question for @Dave Angelini

Earlier in this thread you said you had successfully run a comBox and the new gateway on the same xanbus network...  Is this still working with the latest gateway firmware (1.09)?

I've got a rather interesting setup and have been running a dual xanbus system with 3 comBox units in a cluster for the last few years and its getting to be a bit of a PITA with some of the automation stuff I am setting up.  Picked up a new gateway unit and am hoping it will replace the 3x comBox cluster... Anyways... I'm wondering if it could still be possible for me to plug the gateway into the same xanbus network as a combox and not have it instantly hose things. (currently running as a grid tie system with no grid sell, with 0amp grid support during multiple peak utility time frames.)  I am just wanting to do this dual setup while get my scripts tested out and prove they still work with the new gateway unit, then I can remove the combox.

Thanks!
    J
  • Dave Angelini
    The combox was recycled so no! I have not tried that since gateway was in Beta field test 2 year s back. Different firmware for sure!

. You can email me as I just did a cluster system with gateway. There is new gateway firmware that could be out before the Christmas break. I always remember saying that it is rare when it happens ;)

The Gateway dual xanbus is a game changer for big systems! It can really isolate problems and continue to power loads.

We like the part about powering loads offgrid ! ALWAYS !

• SomeJ
    Thanks for the reply Dave!

This message is more just information in the event other people are searching for this info as well.

I went ahead and rolled the dice and hooked up the gateway unit along with the comBoxs.  More than 6 hours with that setup and everything seems to be playing just fine.  There is a combox on both xanbus networks and then the 3rd acting as the cluster master and every unit including the gateway device are all spitting out info just fine.

Doing a "register walk" on this new gateway unit is super fast compared to the combox.  So far I am very pleased with the performance!

I hope they do get the new firmware out before the end of the year, would be nice to see what improvements they have made.  On FW 1.09, the only bug I've seen so far is the battery temp is not graphing/reporting on the gateway unit (BTS is plugged into an XW+ unit). The temp does show up just fine on the combox on that xanbus network and the gateway unit does show the temp when I look at that specific XW+.

Thanks!
    J
  • Dave Angelini
    That is a known bug  (battery summary screen) that should be on the next round. It works fine if you have their battery monitor BTW.

You are probably fine with XW+. The XWP uses alot more resources. Are you offgrid?

I am really hoping for the digital and analog I/O switching to get implemented. That will do some pretty amazing tasks with the Gateway Wi-Fi station and hot spot modes.

• SomeJ
    After this system was setup we went off grid for a few months, but have since gone to grid tie. (I "inherited" a hot tub, and during winter it's just a bit too much for the battery)

I did put in a bug report for the gateway and the battery temp thing.  I've found at least 1 other bug (possibly more) with some modbus (503) registers, but am holding off on reporting any of those till after the next firmware, it's possible they already got something fixed there (and that support form of theirs... jeeze that thing wants a lot of info).

It will be interesting to see to what level they let us control the I/O switching.  Really hoping they will be directly accessed via modbus registers.  Could use them for just about anything then.
  • rfardonk
    rfardonk Registered Users Posts: 2
    So far... taking full advantage of Modbus through my Gateway

• Dave Angelini
    Good Job !  Very nice to see the progress !  Cooling and heating are where you will find ways to automate your application!  

Might need you for a consult!   Keep it up and welcome to the forum !    and Happy 4 th  !!!

• tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    This question is for those with XW6848 Pro inverters ...

I have two installations with the same firmware, Build Number 1.11.01bn49
    In the local webpage for my Insight under the Battery Settings config part.
    On unit has Bulk Termination Voltage
    They both have Bulk Termination Time

I cannot figure out why one unit has the term. voltage setting and the other doesn't.
    What does your Pro unit have ?
    hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    No idea--But do these both have the same battery chemistry (FLA, AGH, Li Ion, etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Are all the settings the same on both units?  They can interact and as Bill said, the battery and many other settings can interact with what choices are in the configuration page. Check that the AC coupling config is the same on both XWP's.

Hey Bill, been wanting to write/talk you but keep getting side tracked. Hope all is well! --Dave