Charge battery bank with smaller than optimum charger.

Options
spacebass
spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Can I charge a 60v a lithium 04 battery bank 5 x 12v batteries that requires 73v charger with a 58 volt charger without causing harm until I can get the 73 volt charger ?  (I also have an 87 v charger ?) Thanks folks x

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theoretically it would charge the cells to a certain state of charge then stop due to no current flow, this is used in solar applications to prevent fully charging in an attempt to extend cycle count expectancy.

Things to consider are, the charging current shouldn't exceed the maximum current allowed by the battery, if the chargers output is significantly less, it would  need to be capable of providing maximum output during charging without overheating. 

Details of the battery size, chemistry cell topography and charger capacity would be helpful.

Should the cells be LIPO extreme caution should be taken not to exceed the charging limitations as they could self ignite 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of lithium batteries have to be charged coupled with a BMS (battery management system).  Off the top of my head, I would guess that rigging up a raw charger could be potentially dangerous.  I would stop this plan completely till you've researched exactly how your particular battery is supposed to be charged.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • spacebass
    Options
    Than You Gentlmen for your comments this at the moment is a 48 volt 4 x 12v x120amp battery bank comprising these lipo4 batteries x 4 :  http://aegis-energies.com/products/bx/2019-04-14/42.html
    They are charged everyday by a proper lipo4 58 volt 5 amp charger . According to translation of chinese assoociated with the batteries they contain 'sophisticated charging protection' and everything has benn running OK for a couple of months. (The Chinese says you can charge the batteries with a car battery charger though not ideal)
    Now I want to add a fifth battery to make a 60v bank and am awaiting delivery of a 60 v inverter from China in transit , and because the Thai vendor sent me am 87 volt charger ,now returned, instead of 72 volt charger (5amp) until I can source a 72 v charger ( by the way max charge 10 amp) I want to know if I can get by with using the 58 volt charger for a while.

• mcgivor
    Options
    They will only reach 58V then stop in a partial state of charge due to the voltage being regulated to 58V maximum , never exceed the maximum allowed charging current, which I'm sure the 5A won't.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • spacebass
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    They will only reach 58V then stop in a partial state of charge due to the voltage being regulated to 58V maximum , never exceed the maximum allowed charging current, which I'm sure the 5A won't.

Thank You K. McGivor I have found another 73 volt charger on lazada if the other lot haven't got one !

• mcgivor
    edited April 2020 #7
    Options
    Thanks to Lazada you're able to order something, being that all the major stores are closed due to Covid, hopefully the government will amend the restrictions at the end of the month now that almost all the cases have had an outcome with a 98% recoverery rate, Thailand has been lucky to have had a low transmission rate so far but they will probably play it safe for some time to come.
  • spacebass
    edited April 2020 #8
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Thanks to Lazada you're able to order something, being that all the major stores are closed due to Covid, hopefully the government will amend the restrictions at the end of the month now that almost all the cases have had an outcome with a 98% recoverery rate, Thailand has been lucky to have had a low transmission rate so far but they will probably play it safe for some time to come.

I read today because the PM said he will lessen lockdown for areas where transmission was falling suddenly all the figures say transmission is falling everywhere !