Grid-Tied Bicycle system

DickyDck
DickyDck Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭
Hey all, not sure if this is the right section but it looked proper. I am thinking about trying to build one of these for kicks, since I try to stay healthy and have a elliptical, a treadmill, and was thinking about a standing bike for my home gym, so I thought... why not try to do this? Could someone tell me what is going on here?

https://www.thegreenmicrogym.com/product/upcycle-ecocharger-diy-kit-250-grid-tied/

I see an inverter, that much is simple enough to figure out.
I see a male-to-male cord, seems like a bad idea but whatever
I see a rectifier, maybe a diode? Relay perhaps? 5 connections? what is this? (this is what I would really like some guidance on)
And of course the bike that serves as the generator, I'm not paying 1g for a bicycle and an alternator, can find these separately and probably more efficient, I can fabricate a stand for my 30 dollar walmart bike :-)

This seems to not have a battery in the setup which makes sense since this isn't designed to power a backup system, though potentially could?

I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before, my search criteria didn't come up with much.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #2
    Say you were able to produce 200W for 1 hour per day, in a month you would produce 6 kw, if the cost of grid power is $0.15, in a month  you would save $0.90, in a year  $10.80. The amount of time needed to break even  would be 101.85 years, not including taxes where applicable or additional food cost to provide the extra energy.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The block is a 3 phase AC to DC rectifier (similar to what is used for a car alternator). The "generator" is some sort of 3 phase PM Motor (permanent magnet) or just a small alternator (rotating magnetic field/rotor, and a stationary 3 phase set of coils.

The GT inverter is one of the inexpensive imports. Something like this (this is a 500 Watt version):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0XJEYG

A Kill-a-Watt meter to show Watts and kWH generated.

If there is a "suicide cord" (cord with male plugs, both ends)--Yeah, you don't want that floating around the home.

That kit does not include the bicycle--Just the generation parts.

People have been known to salvage a motor from an old treadmill for the alternator/generator.

Probably less than $200 worth of parts (or even 1/2 that if you shop around).

As McGivor typed, not going to make/save any money. A typical human is going to be able to generate 100-200 Watts for an hour or so...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DickyDck
    DickyDck Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I know I’m not going to generate anything real with this rig, but I spend a fair amount of time in my gym and figured this would add some extra purpose to that time and it is a weekend project that could be done relatively quick in boredom. Thanks for the info! Wonder if they make 48v alternators....