Outback gs4048a to 8000

Options
Okay so I own a gs4048a inverter and noticed while changing out my circuit board stack that there is two areas for power modules inside the housing. So I was wondering if I'd be able to put two power modules inside the housing and hook them up to the circuit stack and get 8k watts? The reason I'm asking is the new circuit stack came with two flex cables. So I'm thinking the circuit stack is either a gs8048a or they use the same circuit stack for both models but only put one power modul in the gs4048a. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I was thinking of calling outback but I'm usually on hold for 2hrs waiting to talk to someone. 

Comments

• Centurion
    Centurion Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay so looking at the packing order it says circuit stack gs8048a/ gs4048a. So looks like they are interchangeable, so what keeps the GS 4048a from becoming a gs8048a by simply adding a power modules? 
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Options
    have you tried using: 

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #4
    Options
    @Centurion
    Welcome to the forum, I also had this among other questions for Outback when I bought the GS4048A. I will post a link to that Outback forum discussion. Basically, it is not a valid upgrade path and will void the warranty, however the tech says it's all the same hardware and firmware, the only issue is that as an 4048A it will not look for a cooling fan in the second module. He thinks it may be a hidden item in the menu but he can't get any information on it. Others on the forum consider stacking 2 4048As a more advantageous route as it would provide more redundancy and cost about the same as the inverter core is about $1600 and a new 4048A is just over $2000. You can find these discussions on the Outback Power forum by doing a search for "4048A".

http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7697&p=43313#p43313

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep a spare here, was given it by a client.
     Yes warranty is always a nice thing and one of the best reasons to stay away from modified and used equipment. It also is not hard to rotate couple so you always have a decent idea that they are both working.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Centurion
    Centurion Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you Aguarancher I haven't tried that forum I'll be checking it out. 
    Thank you Raj174 that was some really good info! It's interesting cause they talk about the fan not operating on line 2 but I've already put the fan on both line and it works with this new circuit stack.
    I do have to agree Dave Angelini having spare parts is always a good idea, we are running off grid and been using out back up generator to power everything and it was not ideal!