Anybody using an MT-50 Meter on the Renogy Tracer charge controller series?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
My readings indicate that maybe I could - depending on the firmware in the particular MT-50 meter. It gets a bit confusing.

Not feeling like another disappointment I took the "sure thing". The MT-5 meter - which is now discontinued.

I bought supplies for a small cabin solar business - that never took off. So I have a few Renogy Tracer MPPT 40 Amp charge controllers - which some call "venerable". They aren't perfect but do most things quite well.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    Renogy tweaked the firmware so that the normal epever MT-50 won't talk to the Renogy.  Have to use their more expensive (Surprise!) tweaked/rebranded version of the MT-50.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fratermus said:
    Renogy tweaked the firmware so that the normal epever MT-50 won't talk to the Renogy.  Have to use their more expensive (Surprise!) tweaked/rebranded version of the MT-50.

That explains why some say they DO NOT work with Renogy while others say they do. So one just has t pony up the extra dollars and get the more expensive MT-50.

I just paid $40 for a supposedly new, without box, MT-5. Says all he did was hook it up and it didn't work with a different charge controller. But he lost the box anyway? Yea - I could do that too. Long as it works.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries