Cable AWG Help!!

Options
SolarRockie
SolarRockie Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I plan on purchasing a solar unit and below are the items I plan on getting.  The only thing I am not sure about is the cable size.

1   100 watt solar panel
1    10 or 20a solar charge controller
1     500 watt power inverter
1     100ah Gel Battery

I will only be running a 22" TV off this setup.  What size cable do I need from:

Panel to Controller
Controller to Battery

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #2
    Options
    Welcome to the forum 

The size is dependent on three factors, voltage, current and length ( resistance ) keeping the distance between the components as short as possible will reduced the size required, especially between the battery and inverter. Missing  one part of the equation, length in this case, makes it impossible to complete the calculation. 

Example, the inverters power is 500W, the voltage 12V,  500W divided by 12V is 41.6A, using electrical code charts would mean a minimum of #8 AWG copper would be required, although useful as a guide the voltage drop at maximum load will be dependent on length. In this example if the distance were 3 feet the voltage at the inverter would be 11.84v or 1.32% , according to this voltage drop calculator https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=2.061&voltage=12&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=3&distanceunit=feet&amperes=42&x=34&y=25

Keeping the drop to a minimum is particularly important so up sizing is recommended particularly with low voltage. The same applies th the array to controller to maximize the potential output, you can use the calculator to estimate the voltage drop by entering the criteria needed. Some say 3% drop is the maximum acceptable, naturally lower is better, but there are cost versus advantage considerations to be taken into account.

Post the distance proposed between the components if you need any further help, or if having problems with using the calculator linked.

Note: In the example 12V was used, because the voltage in a solar system vary, depending on state of charge,  however as a guide, it is ok to use the nominal figure.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    edited April 2020 #3
    Options
    I would first get Kill-a-Watt type energy meter and see how much power your TV uses:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kill+a+watt&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Then define how many hours per day (or over two days, if you want to "battery through" 2 days of no-sun).

How long do you plan on recharging the GEL battery... At least in the USA, GEL Batteries are rated for C/20 rate of charge (100 AH * 1/20 hour charge rate = 5 amp charging).

You discharge the battery over 2 days to 50 AH, it will take (100AH/5amps= ) >10 hours of sun per day (most places do well at 5 hours of sun or better during summer, and down to 3 or 2 hours per day during winter).

AGM may be a better choice---Or flooded cell lead acid would be good for a first try (FLA is cheaper battery, AGM charges faster).

As always look at the specifications for "your planned" battery to see it charging specifications.

And roughly where the system will be used (nearest major city)--And what season(s) will the system be used... Obviously, Winter has less sun, generates less power and/or need more solar panels.

Do your load estimates and paper designs first, before you plan and by the hardware.

Solar Power Systems generate less energy than most people assume, and their loads are higher than understood.

Say your TV takes 24 Watts...:
    • 24 Watts * 1/0.85 AC inverter eff * 1/12 volts = 2.4 Amps @ 12 volt nominal draw
    If you use 50% of battery capacity:
    • 100 AH * 0.50 discharge = 50 AH
    • 50 AH / 2.4 amps draw = 20.8 hour runtime
    And a 500 Watt AC inverter may be "overkill" for this application... Generally suggest a PSW/TSW type inverter (pure/true sine wave). MSW (modified square/sine wave) inverters can by "hard" on some electronic (and induction motor/transformer) based loads (cause overheating, shortened life).

Current wise, a 100 Watt panel will produce, in full sun:
    • 100 Watts / 17.5 Volts Vmp (voltage maximum power) = 5.71 Amps
    14 AWG house wiring will work nicely here... Good for 12-15 amps very easily, keep wiring short (lower voltage drop)--Do you have the distance from your panel to the charge controller (long wire runs, need heavier wiring to keep voltage drop down).

Where you may need heavier wiring, is from the battery to the AC Inverter... A 500 Watt inverter:
    • 500 Watt inverter * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 inverter cutoff = 56 Amps (worst case)
    • 56 Amps * 1.25 NEC derating = 70 Amp rated branch circuit wiring and fuse/breaker
    Using the NEC wire table (pretty conservative):

https://lugsdirect.com/WireCurrentAmpacitiesNEC-Table-301-16.htm

Recommend 4 AWG wiring (optimum). Always keep AC inverter wiring relatively short (low voltage drop)...

Or use a 100 Watt inverter which will be around:
    • 100 Watts * 1/0.85 * 1/10.5 volts cutoff = 11 Amps
    A much more "reasonable" draw for your TV usage and size of battery bank--500 Watts is a bit on the "overkill side" (too large of AC inverters can "waste" energy too--Upwards of 1/2 of your battery draw would be just to "keep the oversized inverter" running).

Amount of sun for your area. Fixed array facing south:

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html
    The energy harvest for an average April day:

Frederick
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 51° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

The math looks like:
    • 100 Watts * 0.52 end to end off grid system eff * 4.72 hours of sun per day = 254 WH per day (April average)
    • 254 WH per day / 24 Watt TV load = 10 hours of TV runtime...
    Or roughly 5-10 hours of TV run time per day of energy harvest for April. All things being equal (which they rarely are).

And based on a pure guess of 24 Watts for your TV. And probably using a much smaller AC inverter--The 500 Watt AC inverter Tare losses are probably significant.

Anyway, some really quick answers... The above are based are relatively conservative rules of thumb. And how you use the system, how/where you mount the solar array. Do you use the TV a lot, or just run it for a few hours every other day, etc...

Your thoughts/corrections/questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarRockie
    Options
    Thanks for all the input on this subject.   The distance from the panel to controller should be between 10 and 15 feet.  From controller to battery 2-3 feet and the same from battery to inverter.    I can change the 500w inverter to a 300w pure sine inverter if that would make a real differece.  Also, I believe the tv is 45 watts and I plan on using it 3-4 hours a day.  Thanks again.
  • BB.
    Options
    Your panek Imp (current maximum power) should be round 5.71 amps. Let's try 15 feet with 14 AWG cable:
    https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=17.5&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=15&distanceunit=feet&amperes=5.71&x=41&y=18

Voltage drop: 0.43
    Voltage drop percentage: 2.47%
    Voltage at the end: 17.07

That is about the maximum drop I would suggest... Generally, we try for 1-3% voltage drop.

For the charge controller to battery bank connection, you want around 0.05 to 0.10 volts maximum drop... The charge controller needs to "accurately" measure the battery voltage. If there is too much drop, the battery will charge slower (more wasted sun). We can plug in some numbers and see what works. 5.71 amps, 0.10 volts drop max, 3 foot cable run (one way for this calculator):
    https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=17.5&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=3&distanceunit=feet&amperes=5.71&x=61&y=24

14 AWG works here:
    Voltage drop: 0.087
    Voltage drop percentage: 0.49%
    Voltage at the end: 17.413

Regarding the inverters... I don't know if the TV is sensitive to MSW or not. And that is the problem, it is difficult to tell without trying, and you won't know until the TV power supply gets hot or fails. A TSW/PSW AC inverter just bypasses that problem. It is the old 80/20 rule of thumb... 80% of your loads will probably work fine--And 20% may have issues/fail.

If you plan on other loads (LED lighting, battery chargers, cell phone chargers, etc...) I would suggest that you bite the bullet and get the PSW/TSW type inverter.

For TARE losses, many specification sheets will list the loss for AC inverters... 6-8 Watts is typical for that class of AC inverter. Probably not going to find many that are lower (even with smaller AC inverters).

Just remember to turn off the inverter (DC input) when you are done... More that a few battery banks have been "killed" by forgetting to turn off all loads when done:
    • 45 Watts * 3 hours per day = 135 Watt*Hours of energy used per day
    • 6 Watt inverter Tare * 24 hours per day = 144 WH of energy per day "inverter just turned on"
    Many times, it is the small loads that run 24 hours per day that really use a lot of solar energy.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarRockie
    Options
    Bill,

Thanks for the info.  With your calculations it seems that a 14 awg cable will do.  If I used a 10 or 12 awg cable, will it increase the efficiency of the solar panel?  I am trying to find the cable that would provide a safe and efficient way of getting the maximum from the panel.  Thanks.
  • BB.
    edited April 2020 #7
    Options
    Heavier cable will be fine. It does let you harvest more power... But copper is expensive too, so going for less than 1% drop is usually not cost effective--Just get a second solar panel and parallel it--You get 2x more harvest.

One other issue is the cable that goes to the solar panel. The UV Radiation from the sun will cause most insulation to fail over time (months or longer). Using UV rated insulation (or Outdoor rated cable) is suggested if this is "permanent" install.

Take care,
    -Bill
  • SolarRockie
    Options
    Great!  Thanks for all the help.
  • BB.
    Options
    Let us know how it all works out.

-Bill
  • SolarRockie
    Options
    BB. said:
    Heavier cable will be fine. It does let you harvest more power... But copper is expensive too, so going for less than 1% drop is usually not cost effective--Just get a second solar panel and parallel it--You get 2x more harvest.

One other issue is the cable that goes to the solar panel. The UV Radiation from the sun will cause most insulation to fail over time (months or longer). Using UV rated insulation (or Outdoor rated cable) is suggested if this is "permanent" install.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Bill,

One more question  :D.  I have researched a few sine wave inverters and I found the one listed below.  It only comes with a cigarette lighter connection.  Is it same to use an adapter (listed below) with my solar system? 

https://www.bestekdirect.com/bestek-300w-power-inverter-pure-sine-wave
    https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Cigarette-Lighter-Battery-Extension/dp/B00JOY6U7U

Thanks
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It will work. But I'm sure others will agree with me that the cigarette lighter "standard" connector is just about the worst design that ever existed. That fiddly positive "spring" connector is anything but efficient.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • BB.
    Options
    Jim is correct about not trusting the lighter socket... For my small USB converters, many times the plug pushes itself out of the socket and powers down. Most are limited to 10 amps (fused) @ 12 volts (120 Watts DC in).

Of course, you can always cut the end off and hardware or use a different connector set (Anderson Power Pole connectors are popular in the HAM radio community).

https://www.bestekdirect.com/system/storage/download/MRZ3011HU-300w-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter.pdf

The inverter appears to have an on/off switch. So, that is in its favor.

https://powerwerx.com/ (Anderson Power Pole connector family--I have never used this website).

Do not plan on using any sort of alligator Clip for Inverter Power Connections. They are very unreliable and poor electrical connections. And for (at least the larger inverters) the "bad connections" can prevent the inverter from even powering up (and look like a failed inverter).

-Bill