Ideas to source a large qty of used commercial PV panels?

fastline
fastline Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
I will try to condense this, our family owns several hundred acres of pasture ground from our family farm.  The family has indicated they would like to sell it pretty soon.  Due to the heritage of the place, I am "trying to save the farm"....so I am looking at different options and plays.  The ground is right in the wind belt for ideal wind generation and there are many turbines around.  However, even if they wanted to install on our ground, I doubt we would get much from that.  

I had an idea to do a private large solar install.  We can probably find used wind turbines and even have the capacity to install them, but I am not convinced the hassles of wind would be worth it.  We don't do this every day and would have to fully design the foundations, lots of concrete, cranes, insurance, etc, etc.  BIG dollars.  

I have been able to find many used PV panels coming from other commercial PV installations.  However, these are resellers and we would not be able to afford paying the middle man....By my estimation, and determined by price, we might be looking for 1500-2500 panels as a start.  Off the cuff, it looks like used panels can be found for around $.30/Watt, but that is still not practical for our needs.  

We have plenty of space and the dirt is cheap enough.  I think if we could get a system to hold for 5-7yr, we can recover the investment and cover the price of the ground, then we can better determine our next step forward, whether that is expand in solar, consider wind, etc.  

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you are looking at  whole different 'ball of wax'.   You understand you may be eligible for some feed in tariffs in some areas, but a commercial electrical  producer will require transmission contracts and some management. I'd speak with the local power company and see what incentives they might be interested in providing, some states are requiring power companies to get a percent of their power from renewable sources.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fastline
    Yes, this has nothing to do with my other threads.  I am simply examining options in renewable energy and I realize if I step up as a private producer, I would have some responsibilities.  However, before I get too wound about it, I have to run some rough numbers to see if it will be financially practical.  

FYI, this area is nearing completion as one of the biggest wind farm areas in the nation!  There is already over a 1TW of wind energy VERY proximal to our site.  I would consider wind but personally, I feel being a private owner greatly improves the bottom line and does not lock the property into some crazy contract for decades.  Again, I realize the assumed responsibilities as such.  

At least for a private owner, wind may not be practical.  It might be if I could see a VERY clear advantage on every line item, including upfront cost and complexity.  But, as a for instance, wind will require us to do geotechnical site testing, design an elaborate foundation sub structure, and planning some seriously complex heavy crane lifts in wind country!  I used to build bridges, it gets scary!  

Solar can be as simple as a couple sticks in the ground to hold a panel.  Some of my serious factors to consider is hail and high wind.  We do get tornadoes in the area but rarely massive.  Shit happens!  I do know solar panels were just not built to handle high wind like a turbine.  
  • clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I use these folk in Europe, I believe they have a department in Canada. But as you can see they do panels by the container load.

Here is a monthly specials offer page. As you can see they also do recycled and older stuff.

There good as a price comparator.

http://www.emat-tn.com/home/opportunites 

You will need a Utilities hook up and you may be asked to pay for the upgrade with there pole transformers.

You will need suitable Inverters to take Dc PV output to AC. You will need  suitable PV array frames for PV mounting, it helps if there is sufficient ground clearance for animals like sheep etc to graze nderneath, this stops the need for constant weedkiller.

Have fun and Good luck.

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries. 

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fastline said:
    However, before I get too wound about it, I have to run some rough numbers to see if it will be financially practical.  
    Like I said,  you  need real numbers to work  with...  Who  is buying at what price  is an  important factor. My  utility  pays for excess solar over net at their cheapest wholesale rate. I think  it's up to almost 2 cents kWh now.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fastline
    I do have at least some wholesale values right now as well as some government incentives.  Things change a bit when you create an "energy corporation" and become a producer on the books.  We might ultimately get in a pinch that we would have to buy miles of transmission lines.  I don't even know where to start with that.  I think most people are just familiar with "net metering" as a consumer.  However, obviously developers have it figured out and are making plenty of cash.  
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    From my small experience with micro grids for Offgrid the project needs to be "bankable" if there are investors. Used solar panels not installed commercially by professionals would be a red flag. My opinion only. It is a long way to the top in the commercial power business.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net