Charging from alternator and solar

Options
I have a solenoid mounted to the firewall on a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Do I need to  have a shotkey diode? I put in a 880 cca AGM battery an a new 160 amp alternator. I had 2 6v lead acid batteries and am upgrading to 2 6v 210 ah AGM deep cycle batteries. I'm going to put as much solar panels panels on the roof as allowed with the help of Arizona Wind and Solar. I don't know what charge controller to use, any suggestions? Can I hookup the charge controller and the alternator directly to the house battery at the same time? If I  need  a shotkey diode how do I  hook it up?
Thanks,
Bruce

-

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Throw the word DIODE out of your vocabulary.   It will do nothing but ruin batteries

You don't use a solenoid - except for your starter motor. 
    using a solenoid will weld the contacts in a short time. Batteries can dump hundreds of amps in a few seconds thru a set of contacts

You need a Isolator,  A diode reduces the charge voltage to a battery and the battery NEVER fully charges
    You use a dual battery controller like this.   Or a solid state Isolator.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• papab
    papab Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited January 2020 #3
    Options
    I agree w mike, don't use a shotkey diode.   I use a Blue Sea automatic charging relay (ACR), and a manual switch.   You do want to be able to disconnect the engine batttery from the house battery when solar charging sometimes.   There is probably a simpler solution than mine.   I don't see the value in that balmar product.   
    I had a bogart engineering trimetric charger, but it didn't hold a steady voltage.   I like the Victron SCC that I have now much better.   Get a battery monitor too, Victron probably makes them.