I had to switch to conext gateway for xw pro ... but missing combox modbus monitoring

I was quite happy with the conext combox as it allowed me easy access to a csw4048 thru modbus tcp... I had to switch to the conext gateway device to support xw pro... but have not had any success finding modbus info for the new gateway?... the marketing info claims lots of support for modbus.. has anyone found anything out there... like a register list...?

offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted Schneider? If you set-up an account you can call directly. Tell them what you wrote here. 
    https://solar.schneider-electric.com/contact-us/
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• fredk
    fredk Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks Dave, I do have a call in to them... and a case number but they don't seem to be too fast in responding... but your answer does give me hope that there is information available...
    cheers

offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

• Dave Angelini
    I looked for modbus under xw+ and it is gone. They may be reworking it for xwpro. I have contacts in engineering and if you have no joy I will bug them. People on vacation this time of years so give it a week.

• fredk
    Thanks will wait to see what Schneider says about modbus when (if) they respond to my outstanding case#.. been 3 days now and counting , I can see a list of installed software modules in the gateway diagnostic output... that look very interesting in terms of being able to access the data in the gateway via mqtt (IOT) and other protocols... hopefully more info becomes available ..

• fredk
    well, it's been a week now and still no response from Schneider support :-)  I am open to any contact info that might get me some modbus info for the conext gateway?
    cheers

• Dave Angelini
    Need a case number. You can find my email below.

• Dave Angelini
    edited September 2019 #8
    Most all of Engineering is away on vacation but I did get one response. Is all that you want a register list? Please be specific as all I know about modbus is my friends phone number who does this for me when I need it.

" Hi Dave,
    The team is currently working feverishly to implement Sunspec and IEEE2030.5 protocols on Gateway and XW Pro. It is top priority. However we're still 1-2 months away from finishing the implementation, testing and certifying. The basics are there now but we're still working through various issues. Note that the reporting is at a system level (all XW info aggregated) and not at a device level in case this makes any difference for your customer. However there is nothing in the current production firmware of XW Pro and Gateway for this yet."

Any of the combox files below? I have run both combox and gateway on the same XW pro system without problems BTW. Schneider says not to and I would never leave the house with both in xanbus. Offgrid power failure is not an option here. 

Let me know and I will ask a specific question.

• Dave Angelini
    Updated last email above.

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    The Combox will not talk to the XW Pro and the Gateway is still a ways from Modbus, As mentioned above it is in the works and beta firmware has been promised any day now. This is a big project and I know they are working feverishly.
  • fredk
    Ok, thanks for the updates... those register lists are the existing ones in the combox, which I have... 
    interesting comment on successfully running combox and gateway on same xanbus... ( with caveat) seems Schneider marketing for the xwpro is way ahead of the engineering :-) oh well... going to have to wait for the firmware to catch up....
    thanks

• shawnj72
    shawnj72 Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Good Day, Before I go and send a Ticket to Schneider. I take it by the Manual that the Modbus Feature is still not implemented for the Gateway? I see there is absolutely no information in the manual about it.. I too have the zip file with all the Register mapping for the devices but lacks the Gateway..The Gateway Has the Pin out but no other information.. Is it two wire or four wire.. Do i still need a gateway(I HAVE ONE) from Modbus RTU to Modbus Tcp. If not does it coexist on the same network IP as the GATEWAY.. I do have a Schneider ETG100 but looks like the Gateway Already Has Modbus TCP Its kind of vague well less than vague to say the least..  Im Using a GEFanuc RX3i that has Modbus TCP built in the Ethernet.. So looking forward to any information at this time.. Thanks a Bunch Shawn
  • Dave Angelini
    It was suppose to be out in September. Looking at the Calendar that did not happen. I will ask and update. You should still fill out the request. I know they are working on it. They have good talented engineers there. They just do not have as many as they sold the big scale commercial solar. The good news is they are focused on XW and CSW technology.

I too am waiting for the digital/analog IO to be documented on Gateway. it is solid for my clients offgrid and is a huge improvement over combox.

• shawnj72
    Dave Thanks for the info. I did submit a ticket and 2waiting for a Reply.. At least this explains it.. The Gateway was Released with it not fully completed or functional.. Reading over the manuals I have it is not the normal Registers Architecture I am accustomed to.. Most Modbus Read and Writes are in the 30XXX 40XXX Registers but ii'm sure it will still be that but they just are displaying it in a different manor in the documentation. I assume that I can read and write to all devices through the Gateway just from the different device number. The gateway should talk to the other devices through Xanbus and the Gateway be just that.. Should be a good setup when it is fully functional. Would like some documentation though wondering if I need the Modbus TCP to RTU gateway (I Have ETG100)or if I can just use the Gateway and Modbus TCP into that and read and write from there. Hopefully it can get some info the last or next Quarter.. If I hear anything ill be sure to post an update.. 
  • Dave Angelini

The Gateway has always stated in firmware releases that it is a work in development and listed known issues and what is and is not working. It will do everything that combox will do and much more, eventually. It does all I need now for offgrid monitoring and remote configuration of my clients systems.

I do know that the Gateway is being used for CANbus comms to also control non-xanbus devices like LFP bms. I tested the gateway in a field test over a year ago and it has been solid and totally functional, for my purposes. Steady improvements thru 7 firmware revisions.

Hang in there!  I am going to be testing the Gateway mobile app. It just needs business finalization for release.

• shawnj72
    Dave, thanks For the Reply.. I have noticed some Limitations.. But really didn't do the homework Before Purchasing..When I went to buy the combox i say the Gateway and learned.. Latest and Greatest so yeah that what i Need.. Not knowing it wasn't fully Functional..But At least I know that now.. when choosing the System that was the seller was the Modbus Capabilities.. See  Electrical engineer By trade I thought this would fit the Ticket with the whole Home Automation and so far it has.. I was hoping to get the PLC Side Up and running this winter as I can VPN into and Control and View from the Gateway Web Interface but have built my own HMI and  PLC Interface with the most useful Relevant Things needed.. Just waiting for the coms and Modbus capabilities. I do see that they have Canbus in the works too and have a couple cheep 4.3 and 7" HMI that I may Use for small Remote info for bedroom central area maybe one for the garage.. I put a full 24" Touchscreen down in the room and have done a lot of controls for the Generator and I have the AGS going into the PLC for more control. I also have my Boiler controller interfaced also with the air quality / smoke heat / Carbon monoxide detectors  plugged into the PLC Also. I can have any device e mail me or text message me on any alarm or states i desire.. Working on the manual Kill Sw for the Inverter probably next week. It should be a good System when finished.. Ive threatened to bring the lights from the house in it also so I can kill the lights when left on. 6 kids seems like that's all i do go around shutting off lights. . I think that is what started this whole automation Project..Well thanks for the Information and will sit back and try to be Patient.. :-) thanks again..     
  • Dave Angelini
    edited October 2019 #17
    Due diligence is required in technology.
    In my opinion the Gateway was built to avoid ISP port forwarding and have remote cloud control for configuration/remote monitor.
    It does this very well for me.

The smart home and wi fi control in station mode will be the frosting on the cake, especially with voice control on Alexa and Google thru IFTTT type apps.

You are welcome! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Dave,

Modbus is in progress as we speak.  We will have backwards compatibility (we hope) with Combox Modbus maps, as well as Sunspec Modbus compatibility.

The Combox compatible maps will be in v1.06 ( released before the end of this year ). 

• shawnj72
    I got a reply From Schneider and they said it looks like Quarter 1 of next year.. so it is just a wait away..
  • Dave Angelini
    Some good news !  I am testing the mobile app for gateway and it is looking much better than the old Combox app. News at 10.....

• shawnj72
    Good Morning, Still working on trying to get the Modbus Functionality. Still working with Schneider but not really getting any answer as to why it wont poll correctly or at all for that matter. I cant really get a straight answer as to why the modbus TCP doesn't return any messages when it is being polled. The modbus RTU or TCP says it is connected in software but doesn't connect at all. I'm looking for anyone who has a RS485 Converter willing to try to poll their gateway with Modscan32 on the Serial side or even Just try the Modbus TCP.. Here is a free utility if one could try their gateway and see if you can poll on the modbus.. http://en.radzio.dxp.pl/modbus-master-simulator/  if it connects and you can poll it will light green on the M light on the gateway and you will see some numbers after the 40XXX  03 Holding registers on port 502. Device id 1 but he told me to try 201 . I just want to verify if someone else's works as I never had any trouble with the many devices I have established Modbus programming before. Being that it is fairly new I know there would be speed bumps but I hit a wall . Anyone could try their gateway would be greatly appreciated.. Regards..

• mmercalde
    mmercalde Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited January 2020 #21
    I was able to connect via TCP after a bit of frustration.  I was able to r/w on Port 503. The device ID I used for the gateway is 1 or 10. The data received was stored in the second register as LSB if I recall ( opposite how I was pulling info off the Combox.
  • shawnj72
    Well wondering if I got the one in a million in op device.. I will try port 503 tonight before throwing in the towel.. but I think I exhausted all efforts keep trying the same thing expecting different results.. Hey thanks for checking it out and getting back.. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident..

• mmercalde
    mmercalde Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Not 100% sure on the port for rtu but for TCP definitely 503
  • fredk
    Hi, I am monitoring my conextgw using modbus tcp on port 502... I am monitoring my xw6848-21 using red-node as my modbus application... using the modbus register map from schneider...  seems to be working as expected for the basic registers, but some of the more interesting stuff might not be implemented yet like harmonic and reactive power... those registers seem to not be working for me...
    cheers

• Dave Angelini
    Be sure and feed back to Schneider on this as the modbus for XW pro is fairly new. There will be a new firmware revision for gateway 1.06 out soon. Also keep in mind that all firmware has release notes with it that indicate what is fixed and what is not. They need some feedback from you guys. I pay someone as this is deeper than I have time for. I hear the mobile app will have an update at the end of this week also.
    Cheers!

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/conext-gateway-conext-insight-2-product-feedback/

• shawnj72
    Fred K Not sure how you got the port 502 but maybe it make a difference in a Liniux or you just lucky: -) had a team viewer session with Schneider and he couldn't get it to work on 502 but 503 he could but with limitations and not correctly... But some 3rd party applications automatically have 502 hard coded and cannot change.. The Serial RTU doesn't work at all  and he said it should be functional next release.. Also i could get some register values if i did a device detection while polling at the same time..He said the engineers will be working  on all the hiccups i have experienced.. and hopefully it wont be to to awful  long..I told him what i was trying to accomplish and tried to talk me into returning the gateway for a combox. If the two cant coexist ill wait as it inst that important right now.But the future of the gate hopefully will suite my needs.. If the Serial side gets up and running i will be in business till they implement all the TCP functions.. Its been a long week and pretty tired of thinking about modbus.. Hope this helps and ill update when the new Firmware becomes available.. 
  • fredk
    Hi Shawn, I am not sure which devices you are trying to talk to with modbus?  but in my case I am basically interested in my xw6848 pro... which does exist on TCP port 502 ... the conext gateway exisits on 502 slave1... and with a single inverter installed gives me access to the what I need in the 4000 register range... all works pretty well consistent with the modbus register spec schneider published... if you are looking to access other legacy type devices on tcp they seem to exist on port 503 with slave addresses all over the map... the modbus specs have separate sheets on each device detailing the registers and slave ID ... I downloaded those from the same page I got the new version of the gateway software..
    pardon me if I am repeating what you already know... at this point I have not gone any further in accessing other deviceson the new gateway..  I do monitor a combox  with a 4048 CSW inverter and 2 midnite solar charge controllers on tcp modbus as well ..
    good luck

• shawnj72
    Fred Thanks for the reply.. I guess ill ask this first.. you are getting modbus registers through the gateway from the XW or are you accessing the XW Directly ? I had Schneider Team viewer into my laptop i had setup and While he could access port 503 he said the registers were as they are suppose to be.. He could not access anything on port 502 from device 10 the xw and device 1 the gateway. And then told me the RTU serial side isn't functional and i couldn't access 502 because it wasn't functional..We used a couple different polling software modscan 32 modbus poll .
  • fredk
    Hi Shawn, I am getting all my registers from the gateway... the xwpro has dropped the modbus port :-(  so you are locked in to the gateway getting the data thru xanbus and then making it available thru modbus... on tcp... I assume the rtu side will be for other serial devices that could be supported..  I use the command line modbus tools in linux to test the register and access methods and then incorporate that in to my monitoring software which is primarily nodered and openHAB

• shawnj72
    Ok very good.. he couldn't access anything on port 502 with windows environment polling software no mater how hard he tried..but I look forward to future firmware so I can move forward on this project.. thanks again..  
  • Dave Angelini
    shawn & fred, Are you both using Insight2 and not having problems with changing data remotely? I ask because a few have had issues mixing up credentials. I know you both are advanced users. Thx.!