Generator auto-start quit working

Options
BoFuller
BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
For several years my auto start worked fine, kicking on the generator when my batteries got down to 75%.
I just noticed this week when I came back to the house that it quit working and the batteries were at 57% for a couple days. I manually started the generator and charged them up, but I cant get the auto start to work.

When I push the Gen button on the Mate3 and then click Auto (or ON) from the Off position, I can hear a click, like a solenoid click, so I think the Mate3 is okay, but nothing happens at the generator.

Its an Outback Mate3
the generator is a General Guardian 11k propane

I did replace the battery in the generator in July of this year (2019).
I can’t find anything on the menu of the generator that would indicate a link.

Appreciate any ideas.

System;
12 Kyocera 235 GX
16 Trojan L16RE-B
Outback VFX3648 Inverter
Outback Flexmate MPPT 80A Controller
Outback Flexpower One DC Enclosure
Outback Mate3

Bo
12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

Comments

• mcnutt13579
    mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you get out a voltmeter and track down where the failure is in the chain?

Who built the system?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Locate the click, it's likely a relay or solenoid with a bad contact, switching DC can be problematic especially when a small relay is used to drive a larger relay or solenoid, the collapsing field of the larger creates reverse electromagnetic force, EMF,  which can burn the contact of the driver relay. To overcome this a snubbing diode is commonly used, reverse biased  across the coil to quench the arc across the driver relay contact. Another method is to utilize a capacitor, if you are mechanically inclined an old enough to remember point ignition in automotive applications, you will understand the concept.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I won’t be around much in January so my neighbor will check on it when we have snow or cloudy days for now.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)