It is 12F and you feel like working on your car?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
What to do? So many things that need to be done but cold steel and thin nitrile gloves don't work so well. Plus I suspect it may harm the hydraulics in the floor jack. May be sunny but I suspect the ground temperature under the vehicle, where the jack is, may still be about 0F. Too cold?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #2
    Options
    No thank you. I had my fill of cold weather in Alaska. I do like a good cold snap now and then, but not for more than a few days at a time. We had 24F Wednesday and Thursday morning this week. 18F for a few hours is the lowest that we seen here, but it hit 52F the next day, then 70's a week later.
    Next week will be warm, so we will be taking sunrise coffee cruises and sunset cocktail cruises on the lake. At this point on my life, I will travel to see snow and cold - but I won't live in it.
    One of the truly great things about this country is that we choose where we live! How cool is that?!
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm half  ready for spring while winter is about to show up - tomorrow. Though I am already getting negative temperatures lasting until 10ish. 

Felt like working this morning but it was too cold. Took a nap then my get up and go got up and left. All I had left in me was a dog walk. Still not doing bad for this time of year. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries