Week before the days start growing longer!

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
Looking forward to that! 

Supplementing my main bank with eight surplus 8Ds that were going more good than harm. One developed a bad cell so I yanked it. Noticed another 2011 8D that is two months younger and still chugging along. Yielding four options:

1) Just replace the 8D with bad cell ~ $200. Leaning towards that. 

2) Replace both 2011 8Ds while I am it.

3) Remove two more functional batteries - leaving four instead of eight. Thus basically junking two perfectly serviceable 8Ds. 

4) Buy two 8Ds. Replace bad battery and be prepared to replace other 2011 8D - likely to also go out within 6-12 months. Very likely. 

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Do you have need for a small/separate 12 VDC (or other) solar power system (remote power for shed, backup power for guest house, etc.)? Move the partial string there and setup with panels+etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    Do you have need for a small/separate 12 VDC (or other) solar power system (remote power for shed, backup power for guest house, etc.)? Move the partial string there and setup with panels+etc.

-Bill
    Already have a separate 24 volt system with big forklift battery that powers the freezer. Wasting the potential of that 1650 lb battery. Thinking I should allocate more panels to it - then power the fridge as well. 

The eight 8Ds don't contribute as much as one may have thought. Though the remaining seven all measured at least 12.6 at ~44F after a 16 hour disconnect. They are in a gray area. Couldn't sell for jack, they help enough to justify keeping them going. Their saving grace is extending the life of the far more expensive FullRivers. 

I'll just replace on at a time - after a cell goes bad. Pretty elementary to replace a battery other than the heavy carrying. Air Max see's to it that I have obstacles. Like me, he mostly has one gear. Trouble is, his gear is often airborne. Expensive to own but so much fun. His enthusiasm is contagious. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries