Why was today's hike unusually tough?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Concerned about fitness with a tough challenge coming up in ~1/2 year. I work pretty hard at cardiovascular fitness. Todays hike was simply - tough. Trying to figure out why. Here are present excuses:
1) I am 61 years old. 11 years on the wrong side of 50.
2) Hardly budged yesterday with poor weather. Blood must have stagnated. Poor indoor air quality without windows. 
3) Still sore from previous rigorous hike and working under car. Takes much longer to recover. 
4) Cold weather kind of burned your throat. Not fully ready for winter yet.
5) It was the snow - up to a foot deep. 
6) Am wimp. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with #5.  Walking through snow is different.  Especially that stuff that gets a little crust on top and fluffy under.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    I'd go with #5.  Walking through snow is different.  Especially that stuff that gets a little crust on top and fluffy under.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :)
    Hope you are right! It was tough today! Steep hike to be fair. I don't remember doing it in weather this cold. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    edited December 2019 #4
    After a several mile slog through deepish slushy snow on snowshoes in about -30° a few years ago, I think my lungs froze a bit.  Had a sort of flu-like feeling for a couple of weeks after, so maybe it could be the cold.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Wasn't near that cold - maybe the wind chill was 5F or so. Burned my throat a bit because the trail was steep with multiple switchbacks. Guessing I went from ~ 8500' to ~10500'. Definitely felt like resting instead of working upon return. 

ATVs with 3/4" lugs do pretty well in the snow. An ATV with such tires went much further than my AWD with snow tires. Much further. 
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #6
    Ah Ha there is a problem hiding, you didn't use the quad to go the last 2000 ' !  Over 60 and you're losing it ! ?  :o   Wait till you get to 70+..... bad hips , no energy, a whole lot of pills every day, several big surgeries over the years,  it's good you don't have a nagging wife.
    Forgetful?  Nope, but a good sign Senility or Alzheimer's  or ?? is setting in. ;)  :o ... hope you ran down hill or took a sled... B)  CHEERS...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah Ha there is a problem hiding, you didn't use the quad to go the last 2000 ' !  Over 60 and you're losing it ! ?  :o   Wait till you get to 70+..... bad hips , no energy, a whole lot of pills every day, several big surgeries over the years,  it's good you don't have a nagging wife.
    Forgetful?  Nope, but a good sign Senility or Alzheimer's  or ?? is setting in. ;)  :o ... hope you ran down hill or took a sled... B)  CHEERS...
    :):smiley: LOL
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    I seem  to forget mentioning forgetfulness? Where did that insight sneak in? 

My late father was still charging up steep Colorado mountains at 82 - then died of pneumonia at 85. Pneumonia takes down a lot of older folks. It was the horrific Christmas blizzard of 2006 that got him.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I contracted influenza, then pneumonia one year.  Wiped me out for 3 weeks.  I realized how/why millions of First Nations peoples died after European contact with colds, flu, pneumonia, smallpox etc.  I didn't feel like getting out of bed, let alone hunting or gathering.  Me and the family would have starved if I lived then.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Managed Care or what the insurance industry calls it will keep you alive until the money is gone.

Hydration, proper diet, thermal stability, social conditions, are all really important in winter. Winter is also when most leave this world and so extra care is needed. Just like living offgrid ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Cold air with tough hike and we jump to imminent death? Alrighty then. 
  • Estragon
    When skiing near a small BC interior town where some relatives live, I've done a lot of runs with locals in their 60s-80s who put this flatlander to shame.  Aside from getting way more skiing than me, just walking around in the hilly terrain seems to keep their cardio and general health up.
    Off-grid.  
  • Dave Angelini
    edited December 2019 #13
    Definitely add regular exercise and avoid irregular exercise. Add good sleep and avoid eating for 14 hours at night and you won't have to jump off the edge before your time.

I have a bunch of single offgrid folks I look after. The men can be a challenge. Just saying it not pointing fingers.

• softdown
    Estragon said:
    When skiing near a small BC interior town where some relatives live, I've done a lot of runs with locals in their 60s-80s who put this flatlander to shame.  Aside from getting way more skiing than me, just walking around in the hilly terrain seems to keep their cardio and general health up.
    High altitude living is noted for being healthy. I'm an animal at seal level - by comparison to the occasional struggle over 10,000' with steep terrain.
  • Dave Angelini
    Not what I know about altitude. 3,000 feet is optimum for humans. When I go up there into the Sierra, I never want to stay overnight expenses paid or not. It sucks up there for too long and my body tells me that.

• Estragon
    I think it's at least partly a matter of adjusting to the altitude.  Living at ~700' ASL, then skiing at ~8-11,000' gives me a headache for the first day or so.  I don't mind the getting easily winded so much, as it makes me stop more times during the run to appreciate where I am  :)
    Off-grid.  
  • softdown
    Not what I know about altitude. 3,000 feet is optimum for humans. When I go up there into the Sierra, I never want to stay overnight expenses paid or not. It sucks up there for too long and my body tells me that.
    Opinions do vary. The Olympic committee chose Colorado Springs at ~6000' due to the cardiovascular benefits of training at high altitude. 

I suspect that the harder you breathe the better the cardiovascular workout. Shot curls don't count unfortunately. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    More or less, if you live/train at higher altitudes, your body acclimatize to the lower oxygen partial pressure at altitude.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899894/

So, your higher altitude performance will increase/normalize, and if you are an athlete competing at lower altitudes, your oxygen delivery to your muscles/etc.  will be better too.

It takes something like several weeks (as I recall) for a typical person to acclimate to higher altitudes. 

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    I used to do triathlons and have read my share of fitness theories. Altitude is good for cardiovascular fitness. Sea level is good for strength training. Much of the reason the Broncos have enjoyed so many 4th quarter comebacks while usually being a bit lighter. That and the opposing team gasping for air. 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited December 2019 #20
    Some time adjusting to high altitude can help if you want to climb a mountain, ski, or whatever.

Long term it just is not good for most elderly people. We tried to live in Flagstaff where the store here is. We house sit all summer and it was nice temperatures at night and decent in the day for Arizona. I had headaches and sinus problems the whole 4 months. My wife was not positive about it either. 

From what I have read here I doubt you are the age of a Bronco ;)  So, I would say you are a #1 on your list.

• softdown
    I live at ~7700 feet. Though the difference at 10000 feet is still noticeable. 

There can be no doubt that we have to work at diet and fitness after ~55. My high school reunion was frightening. People talking about all their failed marriages and blooming prostrates. Two were still with their original partner.