Problem with Conext Combox/SCP firmware upgrade

Longboat
Longboat Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hoping someone (Perhaps Dave Angelini) can help me with this.  Successful firmware upgrades of CSW4024 and Combox to current versions - necessary for new AC Coupling setup added to system.  Test rig (one panel/microinverter - 250 watts) working as expected - but Monitoring is erratic.  SCP shows only -minus voltage and solid flashing bar on Loads - Graphing ignores AC couple altogether. SCP firmware is V01.06 - should be V2.04. New V2 Firmware uploads/processes into Combox - but doesn't show in Device upgrades. Firmware file: None is listed at Upgrade position.  One note - the System Control Panel/SCP device name was listed as XW SCP - The Combox lists the device as SCP2. I changed the device name to SCP2 - still the same result. I am completely stumped. No reply thus far from SE support. Please advise - Thank you. Bill

Comments

• Longboat
    By the way: Off-grid system. Conext SW4024, MPPT 60-150 (2), Combox, SCP, 3000w Renesola panels. Trojan l-16s. Adding 3000w of AC coupled panels and LFP batteries. Off-grid for 30 years.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found there was a long (undocumented) delay in the firmware upgrade. Start it and wait  wait wait.....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment for someone offgrid that long is to rethink AC coupling. It really is for very large systems and microgrids.
    It is completely against the logic of less is more offgrid.
    It can kill a battery (any type) very quickly offgrid.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Longboat
    I really appreciate the feedback - but I am still stumped - no clues anywhere that I can see. BTW - AC couple is the only way to add load capacity to my existing system without replacing inverter altogether - affordable solution with m215s and new panels. Considering relay cut-off as well to protect the batteries. But... certainly not a good idea to AC Couple without proper monitoring. Again, my question - no file shown on Combox menu after successfully uploading/processing new firmware to Combox. Upload is normal - but nothing is shown below on "Upgrade" section. Any thoughts on that issue? Thanks again.
  • Dave Angelini
    How do "you define" load capacity offgrid? To me this is a battery.

Wait for Schneider on the combox. I am swamped with clients and I really do not want to be involved with warranty. Maybe someone else has the time. Good Luck

• Longboat
    Thanks. The SCP is well out of warranty - over 3 years old. I understood that you were something of an SE guru. No problem.

For me the beauty of an AC couple on an off grid system is the ability to increase load capacity (available AC current sent to loads on the output side of the inverter) without replacing the inverter or resizing the battery bank. Example: SW 3500w maximum continuous output plus 3000w output from AC couple = 6500w capacity.  Hence the ability to service 3000w additional loads while the DC coupled panels continue to charge the batteries. Monitoring and charge cutoff/diversion is obviously key - that's why I asked for help with SCP issue. 
  • plojm
    plojm Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November 2019 #8
    I have the exact same issue and the service team isnt helpful at all. I sent them this article and screenshots. Basically they said so far is go bye another. Does anyone have the firmware a leading up to 2.x I am thinking it cant jump from where it was to a later forward 
  • mike95490
    plojm said:
    I have the exact same issue and the service team isnt helpful at all. I sent them this article and screenshots. Basically they said so far is go bye another. Does anyone have the firmware a leading up to 2.x I am thinking it cant jump from where it was to a later forward 
    This is the oldest I've got:
    Nov 2014    865-1050-01.02_01_00.BN0008.xf0
      not sure the best way to get it to you.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Dave Angelini
    There were a few years where a defect in memory would not recover the old combox's. During warranty they were replaced. You can buy one in the store here for $250. I doubt that Mikes offer will work.

• plojm
    mike95490 said:
    plojm said:

Could you throw it on a free file share like dropbox or google drive?  I would like to atleast try to go to an older firmware. I dont have 250 dollars to waste nevermind Schneider should resolve this for Free. They did it to everyone else they should honor this also 
  • Dave Angelini
    Sure they should and Santa should still take care of people who get hit with lightning. The reason there is a warranty period is for people who bought the product new. If you have a receipt you should make your case to them and maybe they might listen. I would not on a 250 dollar piece of plastic that past warranty. Give it a shot? Combox is being replace with Gateway BTW and so it's days are numbered.

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/contact-us/

• plojm
    I am trying to fight them to upgrade it for me. How much is the gateway going to be.
  • plojm
    plojm said:
    mike95490 said:
    plojm said:

Could you throw it on a free file share like dropbox or google drive?  I would like to atleast try to go to an older firmware. I dont have 250 dollars to waste nevermind Schneider should resolve this for Free. They did it to everyone else they should honor this also 
    Thanks Mike for trying but unfortunately that didn't work either
  • Dave Angelini
    It is in the store here who sponsor this site. People who use the site should try and support them if they can, I think.

• mike95490
    You may have a different model of the SCP.,  the graphic you sent me was SCP2, maybe Dave can address older/newer models of SCP

• Dave Angelini
    I will try but there is one big assumption. There is a Freedom inverter model combox and an XW model. They are not interchangeable and firmware will not correct this issue.

Once one of the XW comboxes of a certain  (older) manufacture date is corrupted, tech support can't do anything remotely and it is toast. I have one of the very first beta model (about 2010) combox and it is still working fine. I use it occasionally on a back-up system. The gateway is so much better (tech support can see it and your system)  that I really only use combox to read Soc on that battery. Below is a link to the review from a year ago.

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/353921/new-inverter-xw-pro-new-conext-gateway-with-easy-remote-monitoring-on-conext-insight-2/p1

• automate
    automate Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3
    edited April 2021 #18
    Hello All,
    I realize this is an old thread, but this issue is exactly the same as I am having with my SCP.  I'm hoping maybe the OP or others have solved this issue. I have a new Combox (current firmware and newly manufactured) and am trying to upgrade an old SCP ( likely 2013 vintage).  In the upgrade list on the Combox it comes up as an "SCP2", otherwise all other references in the Combox have it as "SCP".  I have the same issue as the OP:  even though I have uploaded firmware for the SCP (both 2.04 and 2.05), but the Comboc does not show them as options to upload to the SCP2. The SCP is currently on V 1.06-19.  I'm hoping someone might have the some or all of the firmware files between 1.06 to 2.04. I've had luck going back to older firmware's and making "baby steps".
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • Dave Angelini
    Most of the folks are using the replacement for combox as it is supported. Here is a link to it in the store here.
    https://www.solar-electric.com/insighthome-energy-management-device-systems.html

I am curious who sold combox new to you? They are selling equipment that has been out of support for 3+ years now. Also when you say current firmware, you really mean the last firmware, as that was over 3 years ago when support ended.

Looked and I do not have anything that old. You might try posting  screen shots. When you hover in firmware over the SCP do you see any clues? I really can't remember this stuff as it is so old. Maybe someone has the old SCP firmware. 

The SCP is in the store here for less than 3 bills. Nice to get new buttons as the old ones are probably on there last legs.
    https://www.solar-electric.com/schneider-electric-xw-plus-sw-system-control-panel.html

One should always save the previous firmware so they can revert back. Also, one should have a reason from release notes before they do updates. Especially offgrid!

• automate
    automate Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response!
    I'm using the Combox since it supports modbus, which i don't believe any of the newer gateway devices do.  I have a requirement for external control and monitoring outside of the proprietary SE systems, and modbus seemed the most practical.
    The current SCP is in good condition, and even though a new SCP is a reasonable price, it seems to be a shame to replace it over a firmware update.  I'll keep that as a last resort.
    Understood about keeping the previous firmware, but it seems that there is no way to download the current running firmware from a device.  And since SE doesn't post their old firmware, it's difficult to find these.
    I agree, firmware should only be upgraded when required, but the SCP needs the newer firmware to recognize the battery monitor which was just added to the system.
    I'll hopefully hear back from SE support and can get some old firmware from them, otherwise the request still stands:  if anyone has some of these old firmware files for the SCP, please contact me. 
    Thanks!
  • Dave Angelini
    You probably will hear from them but seriously they want you to upgrade. Your problem may even be related to the fact that new SCP firmware is not being tested with combox by anyone at Schneider. I do not know what caused this for sure! SCP2 sounds like there are two but??? 

Modbus on Gateway has been working for about a year now.  I am not a programmer, but my friend said it was good to go!
    The files below are for the different  xanbus devices.

TP20200624_Conext-Gateway-Modbus-Maps-for-Firmware-version-v1.07.zip