Battery Temp sensor question

littleharbor2
littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody know if a Trace Xantrex BTS is interchangeable with a Midnite solar BTS?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m guessing not.  I tried the same thing between Xantrex and Magnum to no avail.  Give a quick call to Midnight tech support and they should be able to answer the basic topology of their sensor, and whether or not it may b compatible.  

Tony
  • littleharbor2
    icarus said:
    I’m guessing not.  I tried the same thing between Xantrex and Magnum to no avail.  Give a quick call to Midnight tech support and they should be able to answer the basic topology of their sensor, and whether or not it may b compatible.  

Tony
    Thanks, calling will be my next step after some more comments roll in.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Littleharbor2,

IIRC,  it has been said,  that  the Trace/Xantrex BTSes are not interchangeable.

Believe,  that the Outback and MidNite BTSes ARE interchangeable,  if that would be of any use to you.

FWIW,   VIc
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • littleharbor2
    Thanks Vic. Reason I'm asking is a friend recently bought a Classic 150 and I don't think it came with a BTS. I didn't see one in the box anyway. I have a bunch of the Trace sensors and hoped she could use one of them. I just bought a Midnite version at auction for 14.50 today. Glad it wasn't a wasted purchase. 

• mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    edited November 2019 #6
    I can't comment on those two brands, but for future searchers, will advise on Morningstar ones. 

They're based on simple thermistors, as I suspect they all are (cheap, reliable, accurate enough). Based on the temperature reported at various resistances, Morningstar uses a 10K @25C one, with beta ~3900 (+- 100 should be fine), and alpha ~-4.4 (less important). Suitable ones would be US Sensor PT103J2 or AC103J2F, Ametherm ACC-104, or Littlefuse AC103J2F.

If the controller shows the battery temp, it's not too hard to figure out, simply taking a few data points using a 50K potentiometer.

If you have two to compare, measure the resistances at room temp, stuck in a glass of ice water, and in a glass of warm water. If the resistances match within 5-10%, close enough (they'll be within a couple of degrees C).

• Vic
    The  MidNite and Outback are both 10K nominal at 25 C,  NTC.  Had found  a very standard  TDK unit that is readily available.   Also,  about 18 months ago there were several discussions on  BTS selection,  in the context of making a BTS for a cell cap of a forklift battery.

allelectronics.com has had the proper sensor as a normal-stock item   ...   am running out of sunlight here,  so will not search for either this,  or the previous discussion on HB BTS..

Good that you found a MN BTS at a reasonable price,  littleharbor.

It is possible that MN ceased including BTSes with Classics,   because,  when several Classics are in Follow Me,   only BTS is needed.

FWIW,    Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Hi Vic,
    Classic for solar only does not include BTS, you have to buy it separately.
    A+,
    Erik
  • littleharbor2
    Hi Vic,
    Classic for solar only does not include BTS, you have to buy it separately.
    A+,
    Erik
    A ha, It is a Classic SL model. Thanks Eric. Thanks all for all your input.
     Mike

• Vic
    OK,  Thanks Erik & Mike,   did not know that detail.     Vic