"In the weeds" more popular than battery breakthrough at "offgrid solar"?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
It does seem possible. I may elaborate at a later date...
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always interested in "battery breakthrough", but must admit to being a bit of a skeptic.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #3
    I designed a project for JPL in the mid 1970's, They needed a super low humidity lab - I mean a world class low humidity of -15F dew point (at 70F) in an occupied space. For awhile, it was the lowest humidity occupied dry room in the world, but It didn't take long before NASA built one even better in Florida. (If there is genuine interest I can explain the whole process)
    The reason for the huge expense was a new battery technology being developed that was going to revolutionize the world of batteries in 5 years. They were called Lithium batteries. Yep, they were the future of batteries 45 years ago.
    Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We used GEL on a few NRLA birds back in the day :)   I think I can say that.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #5
    Concorde is largely an aircraft battery manufacturer with their roots when NiCad was big and they became the front runner n VRLA . They are foremost an engineering and development company at heart, which is why their AGM;s actually are different. Being very conservative about bringing "Bleeding Edge Technology" to market - I see them as  S L O W, but I have to admit the stuff in their lab is incredible.
    Oh , and Epstein didn't kill himself.
  • softdown
    Concorde is largely an aircraft battery manufacturer with their roots when NiCad was big and they became the front runner n VRLA . They are foremost an engineering and development company at heart, which is why their AGM;s actually are different. Being very conservative about bringing "Bleeding Edge Technology" to market - I see them as  S L O W, but I have to admit the stuff in their lab is incredible.
    Oh , and Epstein didn't kill himself.

Truly in the weeds with Epstein. The nose cartilage is a poor match, one straight and one curved. I consider that Epstein may be living la vida loco in Israel. The biggest story of our lifetime and virtually  ignored by the msm - says something ominous.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    For those with lives, the "... did not kill himself" was from a Navy Seal in a Fox News interview about military dogs--And he tagged that into his discussion:

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1190807017407033345

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Bill, it became quite a popular thing to do, long before that interview. He was playing off the thousands of places that have added those words to bottom of totally unrelated lists.
    Marc
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited November 2019 #9
    I remember from baba boie (sp? Howard Stern show).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    BB. said:
    I remember from baba boie (sp? Howard Stern show).

Bill
    :D:wink:
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    I have seen so many "Scientists at XXX have discovered a battery that is super cheap/charges in 30 seconds/lets your car go 600 miles/is super safe" articles over the past 30 years that I pretty much ignore them until I see them in something a little more reputable than, say, CNN.
  • m151
    m151 Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    softdown said:
    I have seen so many "Scientists at XXX have discovered a battery that is super cheap/charges in 30 seconds/lets your car go 600 miles/is super safe" articles over the past 30 years that I pretty much ignore them until I see them in something a little more reputable than, say, CNN.
    How many alternative engines have been on the cover of Popular Science and Mechanics since the 70's that were right around the corner, but nothing happens!  We don't even have a Wankel any more.
  • softdown
    m151 said:
    softdown said:
    How many alternative engines have been on the cover of Popular Science and Mechanics since the 70's that were right around the corner, but nothing happens!  We don't even have a Wankel any more.
    Was just watching Scotty Kilmer, a somewhat famous mechanic, on youtube last night. He was talking about Mazda's rotary engine this way:
    Light weight and powerful.
    Gas hog.
    Needs very frequent mtce. - that is all some guys do - whatever that is. 

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    m151 said:
    So true.  And almost none of them work out. 

Although to be fair, I remember a working hybrid car in a 1975 issue of Popular Mechanics.  What else has actually happened that I first saw in a magazine?  Things I can think of:

-Computer engine controls
    -Stratified charge engines
    -A reusable space plane
    -Reusable rockets
    -Solar for everyone
    -Handheld computers
  • softdown
    I think you meant reusable space bus and that is being generous. A plane should have engines the way I see it.