Diablo weather and booms in the night...

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
You will never achieve "I've seen it all" status. Thought I must be getting close then this happened. Heard a boom around 1am and the whole building shook a bit. Even got up to check if the garage was still standing. Thought maybe I lost a couple panels. Couldn't sleep for quite awhile.

What happened? Previous high winds had carried a very old and dilapidated 700 gallon water container over the fence. I couldn't lift it back over the fence without destroying the thin electrical wire. Its advanced age had rendered it useless.

It was still good for something. Last nights sustained winds of 40, with gusts over 50, picked it up and slammed it against this building. The building literally shook a bit. Created a solid boom in the noise department. Even the dogs look startled and concerned. 

Ever carry a sheet of plywood in heavy winds? Gives you an idea how much energy can be delivered to an area with a significant surface area. I'd quickly estimate that wind born 700 gallon container delivered the force of several hundred hammer blows.  

No apparent damage other than a water container in multiple pieces. I might post pics when the weather settles back down. Today looks nasty with the sun making a scheduled brief appearance at 6pm. An ~ hour of very late afternoon sun if lucky. Winter cometh. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my really simplified arithmetic is right, a sheet of plywood in 50mph wind would get ~200lbs of wind force.  Wind is definitely a force to be respected!
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    If my really simplified arithmetic is right, a sheet of plywood in 50mph wind would get ~200lbs of wind force.  Wind is definitely a force to be respected!
    A church construction worker was killed when the wind slammed the door on him. I'd guess your number might be low and I have no background in these measurements. I'd guess this thing delivered a couple thousand pounds of force for a millisecond. I think it held at least 700 gallons in its day. An adult could squeeze through that hole.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    there is a powerful front line coming down the west coast today and tomorrow, they project winds up to 50 MPH  across the coast and inland plus a lot of rain for us, watch your forecasts...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Dangerous thing about the wind is the gusts. Like waves, it is the extremes that often represent the greatest danger:
    1) 10' waves may be fine but what about that 20' rogue wave?
    2) 50 mph winds may be fine but what about that 85 mph gust? 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that's 200lbs pressure over the 32sq.ft. sheet.  Once moving there's momentum (force = mass x acceleration), and in a strike the force would be concentrated on a much smaller area (like the back of your head).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter