Imports from China / Tariffs

drew777x
drew777x Registered Users Posts: 1
Anybody imported from China recently for personal use?  I believe orders under 2500 in value should be tariff free.  Want to check with the solar community before pulling the trigger.  Thanks!

Comments

• PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I am interested as well. 

I have made a few purchases from China with no issues and no tariffs.  All of them under $100.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the E-bay stuff. Buy 2 as one might not work.....You would be pretty crazy to make a large purchase when there are so many other options.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK, the "de minimus" amount (free of taxes and duties) for the US is $800.
    https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800

My understanding is anything above that could/would be subject to duties and taxes, the amount of which would depend on the customs classification and country of origin.  Figuring that out probably isn't a wise DIY project.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter