Bad news for scotch lovers -

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Opinions vary - I felt like something had to be done regarding China. This one gives me a queasy  feeling. Be careful with those tariffs Trump. Retaliation is likely. 

Trump Administration Slaps 25% Tariff On Single Malt Scotch Whisky Imports

https://www.forbes.com/sites/felipeschrieberg/2019/10/03/trump-administration-slaps-25-tariff-on-single-malt-scotch-whisky-imports/amp/?fbclid=IwAR3Uazy_SwsS1C6tNXwKBcoCulbXN0sUzX9J88eSkH-BnHKc1_hTm6mA55c

I think Dave can relax - doesn't look like it affects Canadian exports. 

I was once such a prepper that I stocked up on liquor. It is one of the ultimate bartering tools. Too bad beer doesn't store well, especially craft beers.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotch whiskey is kind of an interesting application.  It takes at least 10yrs to mature a decent single malt, most are longer. 

China has been a large and growing market for single malts, potentially creating a supply problem.  If the US imports less because of higher prices, it might work out well for everyone.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    Scotch whiskey is kind of an interesting application.  It takes at least 10yrs to mature a decent single malt, most are longer. 

China has been a large and growing market for single malts, potentially creating a supply problem.  If the US imports less because of higher prices, it might work out well for everyone.
    Chinese can do it in six months - I'll bet. No guarantees on the quality!!!
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #4
    I think Dave can relax - doesn't look like it affects Canadian exports.

Well there is only 1 Scotch Whisky  (no E) that is not made in Scotland is made in Canada! and it is called GLEN BRETON. A small boutique  Distiller by volume.
    Made in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia   Quit a legal battle over the name and Glenora Distillers won...
    All the other whiskey would be RYE, our National whiskey drink.... note the E.   ( and we have LOTS Dave.) :)

All trade between you guys south of the 49 th , and us, other than lumber, is essentially covered by the old NAFTA ( North American Free Trade Agreement) as the newly negotiated version, the so called  U-SMACA is not ratified by either your Gov )Trump) or our Federal Parliament ( we get to VOTE on OCT 21, 2019), not familiar about what Mexico has done.
    So because the old agreement stays in force  until a new version get ratified we don't have a BREXIT.

ADD:  I am thinking of the laws of supply and DEMAND that the Canadian price  should  drop on some (all?) Scotch as the effect will be a shift to something cheaper  for most people, other than the (very rich) Japanese who love to drink VERY expensive Scotch... it's a status symbol.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Estragon
    Is whisk(e)y covered by CETA?

Will the US executive branch play chicken and give notice on NAFTA 1.0?

Somehow, I hope to not live long enough to seriously consider a chinese facsimile of scotch.  It might even be good, but having spent a fair bit of time in the parts of Scotland where scotch is produced, it just wouldn't work for me.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nancy Pelosi and the US House will not sign USMCA. She will be gone of natural causes before to long......I have hope for this.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Estragon
    Who's next up if Pelosi goes?
    Off-grid.  
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The Speaker of the House (Pelosi) is an "elected position of power". Usually it is the majority of the house of representatives are the ones that vote. Currently more Democrats (technically Democratic Party) is in the majority, so if Pelosi goes (does not seem likely right now), they would "caucus" and vote for a new speaker (would be a Democrat--But does not have to be, but so far, always is the party that is presently in power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Are there any odds-on favorites should a vote become necessary?  From what little I've seen of some house members, it might be better if Pelosi stays healthy?

From a Canadian viewpoint, status quo (aka gridlock) isn't great, but works.  NAFTA 1.0 stays in place, etc.  If the rocks really start flying, I dunno.
    Off-grid.  
  • BB.
    Usually, it seems the person that raises the most money for the party, is odds on favorite. Generally, the speaker is elected (or re-elected) after the election before the next session (every two years, first Tuesday after 1st of November of 2018 is the next House, 1/3rd of Senate 6 year terms, and next presidential 4 year terms, and 10 years max--i.e., get into office with 2 years or less, then can serve 2x more 4 year terms).

https://www.dailyindependent.com/news/congressman-says-washington-committee-seats-come-at-a-price/article_20db268a-faa8-11e5-9815-e79bf5457be0.html (Republican)

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/culture-of-corruption-heres-how-much-the-democratic-party-charges-to-be-on-each-house-committee/ (Democratic)

THE DUES FOR the 2020 cycle, according to the DCCC dues document, range from $150,000 at the low level to $1,000,000 for the speaker of the House.

The document lays out the price of particular committee assignments. Leadership posts for the second-, third-, and fourth-ranking Democrats — currently Steny Hoyer, Jim Clyburn, and Ben Ray Luján — range from $900,000 down to $700,000. The next tier of leadership, which includes Caucus Chair Hakeem Jeffries, DCCC Chair Cheri Bustos, and others, costs just $575,000. Lower-ranking members of leadership owe between $400,000 and $500,000.

Personally, I think this is organized crime (RICO Statute in US Law)--Selling government access/power for benefit of private parties (US political parties are private entities--at least in theory/as I understand).

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/content/rico-act.html
    Passed in 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) is a federal law designed to combat organized crime in the United States. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise. Such activity may include illegal gambling, bribery, kidnapping, murder, money laundering, counterfeiting, embezzlement, drug trafficking, slavery, and a host of other unsavory business practices.
    But what the hey... I am just along for the ride.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Interesting way of establishing the pecking order (though there's likely an element of that here too).  

$1,000,000 doesn't seem much to buy a speaker.  Do you take Visa?  Is there a discount if I take a six-pack?

Off-grid.  
  • BB.
    edited October 2019 #12
    In one of the above links:

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/culture-of-corruption-heres-how-much-the-democratic-party-charges-to-be-on-each-house-committee/

HOUSE DEMOCRATS ARE woefully behind on dues owed to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, according to an internal party document provided to The Intercept. The rank-and-file’s lagging participation in the party’s money chase is being made up for, however, by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s prolific buckraking. By the end of June, she had raised the DCCC more than $43,000,000.

Otherwise, only 11 party members had paid their dues in full, according to the document, a July draft of the “Member Dues Report” for the 2019-2020 election cycle. The delinquency doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t pay at some point during the cycle (though some certainly won’t), but the DCCC, naturally, would prefer to have the money as early as possible, for budgeting and planning purposes. Members, meanwhile, prefer to hold on to their campaign cash as a signal of strength, to deter potential opponents considering a bid.

Interestingly, the government that cannot run without huge deficit spending (hugely increasing loans), the party(ies) cannot seem to collect their "taxes" from many of their members.

But you can see that Nancy Pelosi raised >$43,000,000 by June, so she is pretty much a lock for now as speaker (until she retires and/or the other party wins the House in 2018/seats in 2019) (actually 2020 and 2021 seating--I guess I have blanked out the last election). They make lots of money (personally) from their because of their government jobs.

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Estragon said:
    Interesting way of establishing the pecking order (though there's likely an element of that here too).  

$1,000,000 doesn't seem much to buy a speaker.  Do you take Visa?  Is there a discount if I take a six-pack?

Yes! A discount for blended Canadian. In October there is special pricing as the residents here abstain from all alcohol. We call it Oktoberfest. We have done this since day one to prove to ourselves, that we can quit. So far so good.

I think Bill would agree with the statement Bob Brinker ( The land of critical mass) once made, 
    "It is the best government that money can buy"

• softdown
    edited October 2019 #14
    John Adams once said it is the government that the most money bought. Chap was ahead of his time it seems.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited October 2019 #15
    softdown said:
    John Adam once said it is the government that the most money bought. Chap was ahead of his time it seems.
    Thought you would be more of a Jefferson guy ;) They were great friends something that has not happened since Reagan I fear.

• softdown
    softdown said:
    John Adam once said it is the government that the most money bought. Chap was ahead of his time it seems.
    Thought you would be more of a Jefferson guy ;) They were great friends something that has not happened since Reagan I fear.
    You got that right. I'd give my life to bring back Jefferson but it is doubtful that even Jefferson could navigate today's political "labyrinth". He might get a SWAT raid though. 

John Adams though? Clever bloke at times.