Would you buy a car from someone who meets at Walmart/Home Depot etc?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
Was pretty interested in a car until he said the meeting would be at Walmart. A long time car guy says that is a stupid way to buy a car - a "big ticket" item. 

Changing the subject a bit but I have to say - trying to buy from Milennials is always just flat weird
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Options
    I'd think a DMV or Secretary of State office (or equivalent where you are) would be better - so you can check the title.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some folks are paranoid about inviting strangers to their homes, and some vulnerable ones justifiably so.

Some live in diminished circumstances, (or in more opulent ones), which they may think will adversely influence a prospective purchaser in negotiations with the vendor.

Some people work at Walmart, and may think it more convenient to meet there rather than have the prospect meet at their home (which could be distant or remote).

Lots of possibilities, so I wouldn't rule it out on that basis alone.  In any case, due diligence is obviously important.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    mike_s said:
    I'd think a DMV or Secretary of State office (or equivalent where you are) would be better - so you can check the title.
    First a smart buyer will go over the car with a fine toothed comb. Then drive it on street and highway. 

A 2007 Toyota Yaris owner is quite possibly not a homeowner or even a renter.  But I still don't like the Walmart meeting idea. Many of the Walmart shoppers look like they walked off the set of Road Warrior. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When either party is less than comfortable with a transaction around here, we use our local Sheriff's or local PD office - for guns in particular. You have your choice of using their lobby, or their parking lot in view of surveillance cameras. Call ahead for an appointment and an officer will stand by and observe if you wish.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    Sounds like a small town where folks help each other when they can. Denver went nuts with the recent population explosion which never seems to attract the best of the best.  
  • RoyB
    RoyB Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Here in Massachusetts we are advised to meet in a State Police parking lot to transact a Craigslist, ebay etc sale. Once you tell the seller that yopu are going to meet them at a SP parking lot, it separates the wheat from the chaff