System design....how is this?....

Options
1911 Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I have started several threads and asked a lot of stupid questions....thanks everybody for your support and patience. This is turning imto a fun new hobby and very much value the expertise represented on this site. 

So, without further ado...

I finally got all the componets ordered and am eagerly awaiting their delivery. Please let me know if I made any mistakes here.

4 x 100w SunPower flexible panels 

• Nominal power: 100 Watts
  • Power tolerance: +6 / -3 Watts
  • Vmp: 17.1 Volts
  • Voc: 21.4 Volts
  • Imp: 5.9 Amps
  • Isc: 6.3 Amps
  • Module efficiency: 18.8%

1 x Morningstar Prostar 30a with display, gen 2

2 x SunXtender 84ah batteries.

iota DLS-30 12v with iq4-agm

Suresine 300w inverter.

This was basically a “for fun” project to learn about solar power, but the specific application was to have a semi-portable charging station for rwo-way radios. The fleet of radios require about 90wh to charge one time, and they could potentially require two charges in a day. I also wanted a generous reserve as I live in NE Oklahoma and have a lot of gray days in the fall and winter.

a couple of questions I have are:

1.  Is it OK to put four panels in parallel? There is something in the SunPower installation guide about needing a blocking diode?

2. Somebody mentioned wiring the panels in two strings of two panels each....what is the difference between “two strings of two” and four panels in parallel?

3. Any advice on this system? I have already ordered the parts and they will start arriving on Monday. I plan to play with placement/mounting ideas and then I will then figure out all the wires, fuses and connectors I need at that point. Did I make any fundamental mistakes with the componet selection? I am worried that I picked the wrong panels

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.  It should be ok to put 4 panels (or series strings thereof) in parallel, but each should have a breaker/fuse.  I'm not a big fan of flexible panels unless you really need the flex (eg boat), and imho you shouldn't need to install blocking diodes for modern panels.

2.  With 2 strings of 2 panels,  you'd have Vmp of ~35v, which should be ok for an mppt controller into a 12v nominal bank.  With 4 panels in parallel, you'd have Vmp of ~17v, marginal for an mppt controller.

3. I don't see any obvious problems with gear.  Seems to me you went through the arithmetic on loads in another thread.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
    Options
    Estragon said:
    1.  It should be ok to put 4 panels (or series strings thereof) in parallel, but each should have a breaker/fuse.  I'm not a big fan of flexible panels unless you really need the flex (eg boat), and imho you shouldn't need to install blocking diodes for modern panels.

2.  With 2 strings of 2 panels,  you'd have Vmp of ~35v, which should be ok for an mppt controller into a 12v nominal bank.  With 4 panels in parallel, you'd have Vmp of ~17v, marginal for an mppt controller.

3. I don't see any obvious problems with gear.  Seems to me you went through the arithmetic on loads in another thread.
    Thank you for the input.

I believe my charge controller is the PWM version.....would that change your recommendation?

How would you “srting” 4 x 100w panels into a 30a pwm charge controller?

Options
    New question...

i had envisioned throwing these panels out on the ground flat when I use them.

would a mppt charge controller be more appropriate for panels that are not angled towards the sun?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1911 said:
    New question...

i had envisioned throwing these panels out on the ground flat when I use them.

would a mppt charge controller be more appropriate for panels that are not angled towards the sun?
    NO
     MPPT controllers convert high voltage panels down to battery voltage
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited September 2019 #6
    Options
    The question about MPPT or PWM controllers... For small systems (short distance from array to charge controller+battery bank), a PWM controller+Vmp~18.0 volt array works fine.

HOWEVER, if you plan on installing the panels some distance from the RV, then it is possible that an MPPT controller with Vmp 2x or 4x higher voltage (two panels in series or four panels in series) would be an interesting option.

More or less, you want roughly 1% to 3% drop from the solar array to the charge controller (and for the controller to battery bank, you want a maximum of approximately 0.05 to 0.10 volts)... With low voltage/high current DC, the only two ways of addressing the voltage drop is short and/or heavy cables. For controller to battery bank, that is not bad (short cables are what you want anyway).

But for Solar array to Charge controller, long distances can be a big issue. to get a 0.18 to 0.54 volt drop (1% to 3% of 18 volts Vmp-array), you need short cables (you want long), or pretty heavy cables.... Just to give you an example of the math:
    • Vmp=17.1 volts, 4xImp = 23.6 amps; drop 0.54 (3% * 17.1v)
    • Vmp-array=4*17.1v=68.4 volts; Imp=5.9 amps; (3%*68.4 volts=) 2.1 volt drop max
    First system: low voltage array, high current array, 14 AWG "extension cord"... Using a simple voltage drop calculator:
    Voltage=17.1; amps=23.6; 14 awg copper cable; max drop 0.54 volts:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=17.1&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=4&distanceunit=feet&amperes=23.6&x=0&y=0

4 feet of 14 AWG:
    Voltage drop: 0.48
    Voltage drop percentage: 2.79%
    Voltage at the end: 16.62

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=0.6465&voltage=17.1&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=50&distanceunit=feet&amperes=23.6&x=61&y=16

50 feet of 3 AWG copper cable:
    Voltage drop: 0.47
    Voltage drop percentage: 2.72%
    Voltage at the end: 16.63

Now, the same power (400 Watt array) with 4 panels in series, using 14 AWG cable--how far?
    Vmp-array=68.4v; Imp-array=5.9a; Vdrop~2.1 volts max:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=68.9&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=70&distanceunit=feet&amperes=5.9&x=0&y=0

70 feet of 14 AWG copper cable:
    Voltage drop: 2.09
    Voltage drop percentage: 3.03%
    Voltage at the end: 66.81

Regarding "remoting" your panels... 1) Security (panels can walk, locking/driving stake in ground, etc. to keep panels safe). And 2) people can drive away and forget the panels... I suggest using a non-locking plug and receptacle (not use a twist lock)--If you drive off, the cord unplugs and does not drag your expensive panels behind you.

So--The desire to mount your panels remotely (park in shade, panels in sun)--It may justify the more expensive MPPT type charge controller over the less expensive PWM.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
    Options
    BB. said:
    The question about MPPT or PWM controllers... For small systems (short distance from array to charge controller+battery bank), a PWM controller+Vmp~18.0 volt array works fine.

HOWEVER, if you plan on installing the panels some distance from the RV, then it is possible that an MPPT controller with Vmp 2x or 4x higher voltage (two panels in series or four panels in series) would be an interesting option.

More or less, you want roughly 1% to 3% drop from the solar array to the charge controller (and for the controller to battery bank, you want a maximum of approximately 0.05 to 0.10 volts)... With low voltage/high current DC, the only two ways of addressing the voltage drop is short and/or heavy cables. For controller to battery bank, that is not bad (short cables are what you want anyway).

But for Solar array to Charge controller, long distances can be a big issue. to get a 0.18 to 0.54 volt drop (1% to 3% of 18 volts Vmp-array), you need short cables (you want long), or pretty heavy cables.... Just to give you an example of the math:
    • Vmp=17.1 volts, 4xImp = 23.6 amps; drop 0.54 (3% * 17.1v)
    • Vmp-array=4*17.1v=68.4 volts; Imp=5.9 amps; (3%*68.4 volts=) 2.1 volt drop max
    First system: low voltage array, high current array, 14 AWG "extension cord"... Using a simple voltage drop calculator:
    Voltage=17.1; amps=23.6; 14 awg copper cable; max drop 0.54 volts:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=17.1&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=4&distanceunit=feet&amperes=23.6&x=0&y=0

4 feet of 14 AWG:
    Voltage drop: 0.48
    Voltage drop percentage: 2.79%
    Voltage at the end: 16.62

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=0.6465&voltage=17.1&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=50&distanceunit=feet&amperes=23.6&x=61&y=16

50 feet of 3 AWG copper cable:
    Voltage drop: 0.47
    Voltage drop percentage: 2.72%
    Voltage at the end: 16.63

Now, the same power (400 Watt array) with 4 panels in series, using 14 AWG cable--how far?
    Vmp-array=68.4v; Imp-array=5.9a; Vdrop~2.1 volts max:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=68.9&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=70&distanceunit=feet&amperes=5.9&x=0&y=0

70 feet of 14 AWG copper cable:
    Voltage drop: 2.09
    Voltage drop percentage: 3.03%
    Voltage at the end: 66.81

Regarding "remoting" your panels... 1) Security (panels can walk, locking/driving stake in ground, etc. to keep panels safe. And 2) people can drive away and forget the panels... I suggest using a non-locking plug and receptacle (not use a twist lock)--If you drive off, the cord unplugs and does not drag your expensive panels behind you.

So--The desire to mount your panels remotely (park in shade, panels in sun)--It may justify the more expensive MPPT type charge controller over the less expensive PWM.

-Bill

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to type this up. This gives me a lot to chew on.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited September 2019 #8
    Options
    You are very welcome 1911,
    Please feel free to ask questions and challenge my assumptions.
    From behind a keyboard, I am not always sure I was clear enough in my (rather long :o ) explanations.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
    edited September 2019 #9
    Options
    BB. said:
    You are very welcome 1911,
    Please feel free to ask questions and challenge my assumptions.
    From behind a keyboard, I am not always sure I was clear enough in my (rather long :o ) explanations.
    -Bill
    Hey Bill! Can I impose on you to answer a few more questions?

I have impulse purchased some things since last time I posted.

I made the mistake of getting too excited and ordering a bunch of componets without knowing what I was doing.

I would appreciate some help sorting this out to make a coherent system....here is a list of things that I have or is in the mail. (I do not necessarily have to use everything, I am happy to have “extras” laying around for future projects and am also happy to buy something new if I don’t have the correct item.)

3 x SunXtender 12v 84 ah batteries (i was told my battery bank was undersized so I ordered a third battery)
    4 x SunPower flexible 100w panels
    1 x Morningstar pwm 30a charge controler (last gen, gray plastic)
    1 x Victron smart MPPT 100/30 charge controller ( I ordered tonight, I think I bought an undersized one)
    1 x Morningstar Suresine 12v 300w inverter
    1 x iota 12v 30amp charger with iq4 agm insert.

how do I put this mess of parts together to make a good system?

Did I order the wrong batteries? Should I have aimed at a 24v system? Should I discard one battery and run two batteries in series to make a 24v battery bank? Or is three 12v batteries in parallel OK? Or should I buy a forth battery and run two in series for 24v that are run in paraller with the other two in a 24v series?

I believe the 100/30 MPPT cntroller is too small to wire the panels in series....I just ordered it tonight....I might be able to call NAWS on Monday and change it to the victron 150/35 if I need to. Or I could do “two strings of two”, i think.

What is the easiest way out of this mess? What would a solar guru do with all of this stuff if they had it laying around? 

Options
    Another question, what kind of meter would be good to monitor this system?
    edited September 2019 #11
    Options
    Nearing completion!
    Options
    I have been reading that it is not a good idea to parallel AGM batteries.

I am wondering If I should just buy one large 12v battery or buy some lower voltage batteries and run them in series?

edited September 2019 #13
    Options
    Just because this dumpster fire of a thread deserves a conclusion.....

I plan to divide these components into two smaller systems. Each charging system will use two of the 100w panels and one of the 84ah batteries. This will give me two identical systems, which will actually work out pretty good for me considering I want to be able to power things that will likely be in different places. Plus, redundancy is good.

I will also order the following:

2 x victron 75/15 mppt charge controllers

2 x victron 15/250 inverters

2 x iota dls-15 with iq4-agm

(I will cancel the third battery I ordered and also cancel the victron 100/30 cc. I will just wind up with an extra Morningstar 30amp pwm cc, iota 30amp charger and a suresine 300)~could be worse:) just an excuse to build another solar project in the future. (Im sort of considering a Sunextender 12v 153ah battery and a pair of the Solarland 160w panels just to use up the extra parts) fun stuff.

Many thanks to all contributors!