The Longest Night

Options
13»

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #62
    Options
    Well it is quite cloudy right now with some thunder rolling. My concerns are back due to only feeding 51 volts to the batteries from incoming voltage that is fluctuating in the 60's. Concerned again - of course. It is very rarely this dark and cloudy though. You can'r charge batteries with the same voltage they have. 

Disconnected the 8D's in effort to save the far more valuable batteries by maybe 7 : 1. 

Hard to diagnose absolutely cloudy conditions. Bit like analyzing a light bulb that is almost off. 

Idea seems very jerry rigged but here it is nonetheless: Serial three panels two times for much higher voltage to increase entire array voltage. Almost certain this will not work. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Use a genset. I do not understand your set-up in your sig below. You have to complete charge somehow :'( Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Options
    Use a genset. I do not understand your set-up in your sig below. You have to complete charge somehow :'( Good Luck!
    Tomorrow is mostly sunny. I'm thinking that ought to help considerably.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure where the FM80 shuts down at these days.  WAS 140V but might be 145V now ?  Maybe Darren Emons remembers.  I'll ask him next week since he is working for us now.
  • softdown
    Options
    boB said:
    Not sure where the FM80 shuts down at these days.  WAS 140V but might be 145V now ?  Maybe Darren Emons remembers.  I'll ask him next week since he is working for us now.
    Think mine was made in 2012. Sat in its box for several years while I continued building. Building. can. take. a. while. 
  • softdown
    Options
    Woke up to 50 volt battery bank. Seems the storm is in the rearview mirror. I'll celebrate with a beer this afternoon. 

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped, or endeavored to help, in those trying days. Wouldn't have been a large blip on the radar screen without being sick and sleepless. 

Just knowing that people are trying to help does a lot for the spirits. As compared to dealing with government officials who most certainly are not trying to help.
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    Remember that you want to hold ~57.6 volts (AGM) for something like 6 hours for full absorb (and drop below 1% or even below 0.5% rate of charge). Making float 57.6 volts is probably not going to hurt anything for your solar power system... I would worry if float was >2% (enough to cook a battery bank, and really an indication of an end of life battery bank that needs to be replaced soon).

From Marc Kurth regarding Concorde--But would not be bad for AGMs in general:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/401301#Comment_401301

First: I will categorically state that almost every early Concorde battery failure that we see is from undercharging. Undercharging is the enemy and always has been forever. Undercharging can include too low of an Absorb voltage, too short of an Absorb time, too low of a charge rate and not reaching 100%  SOC often enough. Way behind undercharging on the list is high temperature. Overcharging is rare to the point of being almost non-existent.

Second: It is MY opinion that Concorde has gradually ratcheted up their support of “conditioning” because customers are so afraid of “over charging” their batteries, that they undercharge them. MOST people do not read (or perhaps ignore) the fact that Concorde batteries must be charged at the Absorb voltage until they are only drawing one half of one percent of the battery bank C/20 rating. Simply put, 0.50 amps per 100 AH of battery capacity.

Dropping to Float before reaching this point is a form of undercharging and will cause sulfation. Their manual also provides suggested Absorb time settings to be used as a starting point to fine tune. Two hours is minimum for very shallow cycling and four hours for deeper cycling.  Remember that “end amps” is the key and that lots of Float time brings strings into balance.  We often read the internet megaphone about overcharging AGM’s.  Think about a typical 1200 ah bank. At 100% SOC, the entire group of 24 batteries is only drawing 6 amps!  I assure you that it will take a very long time to cook them. Especially when the sun goes down with great regularity.

There is much, much more to discuss, but I will say that if our battery banks are charged per the manufacturer’s instructions, equalizing is not required for the first 5-7 years. Yes, it is a slightly destructive process, but less so than sulfation! 

OK that was wordy! But go ahead tell me what I missed!

-Bill
    I figure that using FullRiver numbers is good. They take slightly more aggressive charges. 

Loving your suggestion about the BMS. Seven strand thermostat wire is great for hooking up BMS units. 18 gauge and solid strand with seven colors. 

There is a downside to mounting the inverter and CC out of the way. But keeping it cool with stable temperatures will certainly help a lot with longevity.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Yes use the OEM numbers! What is being conveyed is to make sure your FM80 is not going out of absorb to early. Being able to read the 1% or even as Marc and Bill are saying .5% is really the ball game here. That is why I used the picture of the  battery system to show everything in one shot. A battery monitor is good also but,

Really all you need is a voltmeter and a way to read end of charge amps for AGM's.

And the most important thing, you have to do it daily offgrid. This should not have happened in summer. Sorry to be frank about it.
    Call me the bad cop!

• softdown
    Options
    Yes use the OEM numbers! What is being conveyed is to make sure your FM80 is not going out of absorb to early. Being able to read the 1% or even as Marc and Bill are saying .5% is really the ball game here. That is why I used the picture of the  battery system to show everything in one shot. A battery monitor is good also but,

Really all you need is a voltmeter and a way to read end of charge amps for AGM's.

And the most important thing, you have to do it daily offgrid. This should not have happened in summer. Sorry to be frank about it.
    Call me the bad cop!
    "read end of charge amps for AGM's."  I'm not sure what that is conveying. 

Not many old timers are going to check battery voltage every day, after the excitement wears off, unless the CC readouts are extremely convenient. Much like checking oil levels with every fuel up - likely not going to happen. Whether or not it should? Well of course we should all spend several hours/day monitoring everything we own.

With my BMS next to the TV remote, I can read it with a 3" twist of the head. Actually it would be hard not to read it. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    With AGM batteries, the "optimum" end of charging point for them is when the charging amps (at setpoint voltage) falls below a specific level (like 1.0% or 0.1% of rated capacity, factory spec).

A 200 AH flooded cell bank at 1% end of charge current ~2 amps
    A 200 AH AGM bank at 0.1% end of charge current would be ~0.2 amps

The above are just examples... Check your battery manual for "real" numbers.

The Midnite MPPT (such as the Classics) controllers with the remote current reading WizBang Jr. can measure battery current directly.

https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-whiz-bang-jr-current-sense-module.html (bolts to a current sense precision resistor)

It is possible that later Outback charge controllers can too (need a add-on option)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Outback has a DC monitor for $278. Some folks may be better off just easily reading battery bank voltage. I can do the other figuring in my head. 

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    You can also get a DC Current Clamp Meter and do a "spot check" on the charging current before the controller goes into float (during extended absorb).

And running a DMM across each of the batteries every week or even once a month (while under charge or discharge can show more issues) and seeing that all the batteries are nearly the same voltage (i.e., less than 0.10 volt difference on a 12 volt battery between the other 12 volt batteries).

You are looking for obvious differences. Not 0.001 volt differences across cells/batteries (unless Li Ion families).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    softdown said:

Call me the bad cop!
    "read end of charge amps for AGM's."  I'm not sure what that is conveying. 

Not many old timers are going to check battery voltage every day, after the excitement wears off, unless the CC readouts are extremely convenient. Much like checking oil levels with every fuel up - likely not going to happen. Whether or not it should? Well of course we should all spend several hours/day monitoring everything we own.

With my BMS next to the TV remote, I can read it with a 3" twist of the head. Actually it would be hard not to read it. 
    It all gets down to making it easy which was my point with the snapshot of the system. The same with a battery monitor. I have 250 + clients who do it  daily and many are females who could care less about most everything in the system except losing power and buying new batteries.

Look out the window in the am, check at happy hour if the system went to float, at about what time, were the KWH produced typical.

Once a season check that the numbers make sense and that you remember what end amps are.

• softdown
    Options
    With a BMS in my study I check several times/day by moving my head a few inches. The charge controller is down by the root cellar - way, way out of the way.  Your multitudinous "female clients" would not be able to get to it but that is a long story. 

But I do always enjoy suggestions after the problem is solved. Best to have an armload of back up plans. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    You are a smart guy, I am sure you could make it accessible. Without the data to be informed really all you have to do is write checks.

Back-up plans are good, not having to use them in the first place is better.