Solar generator questions

Options
1911 Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭
Hello,

I have six walkie-talkies (4w uhf) that I would like to build a portable battery bank/solar generator for. I would like to make it a bit oversized as I plan to increase the number of radios in the future.

The batteries in the radios are 7.4v, 1600mah.

I already have some componets from a project I was planning on making a few years ago.

I have:

- 1 x 150w Kyocera solar panel (not sure of the specs, currently burried in garage somewhere).
- Morningstar Suresine 300 inverter
- Morningstar prostar-30 12/24 charge controler

I envision building the battery and componets into something like a Pelican 1440 case.

i was thinking something like a Trojan 24agm battery would work....it seems to be about the cight size to fit in the case and appears to have plenty of capacity for what I need.

Am I headed in the right direction with these componets?

If this setup appears to be the right size, I plan to follow up with numerous wiring and fusing questions:)

thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The battery is 76ah x 12v = 912 watt-hours.  The radios would take ~ 1.6a x 7.4w x 6 radios = 71wh ÷ .8 for inverter losses = ~90wh, so roughly 10% of battery capacity per charge.  Taking a lead acid battery to <50% will shorten life expectancy, so about 5 charges for the 6 radios.

The 150w panel will likely produce ~100watts in normal operating conditions and full sun.  Charging the 50% discharged battery would take ~3-4hrs of full sun and no other loass to get to ~85%, and another couple of hours with diminishing current to get to full.  Likely doable in most places (ie not in a high latitude winter, etc).

Overall, a reasonably sized system for what you want.

For the battery, you may want to consider a lithium for reduced bulk and weight, and unlike a lead acid most are fine sitting at partial states of charge.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
    edited August 2019 #3
    Options
    Well, back to the drawing board.

The panel I had burried in my garage that I thought was 150w....turns out to be an 83w Kyocera. And I can’t find any of that particular model any more.

Unfortunately, I have already ordered a Sun Xtender PVX-840T.

So I have either an oversized battery or an undersized solar panel.

What would you solar gurus do?

As stated by Estragon, the radios will require about 90wh per charge. i could potentially need to charge them daily, although probably not all of them, and they will likely not be fully depleated.

Will the 83w panel be enough to get it done?

Eta-....or should I stop being cheap and just buy a new panel?

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Buy a 300w panel and a MPPT controller and never think about if it's going to be enough !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It may work okay if you're only charging 1x daily.  After a couple of cloudy days and a couple of 90wh radio charges, the battery might be ~80%SOC.  With good sun on the third day, you may be able to get back to full.

Mike is right though, a bigger panel and mppt controller gives more flexibility and less worry about charging capacity.  You really should have pv capacity for ~9a into the battery, but you only have 3-4ish.

A 300w panel is pretty big, needing two people to move safely.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
    edited August 2019 #6
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

if I order a pair of Solarland 160w panels.....how handicapped will I be with the Prostar 30 pwm charge controller vs buying a new mppt?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Assuming the panels are "12 volt" (Vmp~18 volts), the array to controller wiring is relatively short (10 feet or so), and the controller is mounted close to the battery bank (short heavy wiring from controller to battery bus for low voltage drop and accurate voltage reading by charge controller during charging)--You will not not lost much of anything (energy harvest wise).

Just keep the controller and batteries in shade/well ventilated area... Heat is the enemy of electronics and batteries.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
    edited August 2019 #8
    Options
    Thanks guys....one more question, if you will indulge me....I am giving up on using my Prostar 30 cc and Puresine 300.....I will save those for another project.

Here is where I am at today.....I want to go anead and use the 83w Kyocera solar panel I have....so here is what I added to my cart at NAWS.....please let me know if this is a good combination of components, feel free to suggest any substitutions

-Sunsaver 10amp cc

-Exeltech 125w inverter

- Sun Xtender 42ah battery

- ???Midnite Solar Battery Capacity Meter??? (Do I need this?)

thanks in advance:)

eta-i am assuming I can safely get 250wh from the battery which will charge the radios twice. And the 83w panel should be able to charge the used 22 amps in a days time.....am i right?

the ability to charge the radios twice before needing to recharge is sufficient for me...as a matter of fact, the reason I have six radios is so that three can be used while three are charging....so really, this battery size will probably get me closer to four charges for the used radios....so, probably enough of a buffer for bad sun days.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get a larger controller, 10a gives little room to grow if you decide you need more panel.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,