Schneider charger

Options
giovi
giovi Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
What is the schneider electric conext xw mppt 60a solar charge controller max watts?? At 24 volts

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the mppt-60 will current limit above 60A   60 x 24v = 1440 watts   60 x 29v = 1740 watts  A 2KW array is typical.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• giovi
    Options
    I have 6 panels of 260W. Its okay for this charger??
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With 6 260W you should get ~40A maximum at 24V nominal so yes its OK with room to spare.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • giovi
    Options
    Thank you very much, I have searched and nowhere exactly says the maximum watts. Only volts.
  • mcgivor
    Options
    The maximum wattage is actually higher than the proposed,, but it is better, in my opinion, to not run electronics at their maximum capacity for extended periods of time. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    MPPT charge controllers are "rated" by their output current... i.e., 60 Amp maximum here. The output power depends on the voltage of the "load" (battery bank). For example, say your bank "sees" these voltages at different times of the day (starting out with a low battery to fully charged then to float):
    • 60 Amps * 24 volts (low battery) = 1440 Watts
    • 60 Amps * 27.2 volts (battery getting charged in full sun) = 1,632 Watts
    • 60 Amps * 29.6 volts (battery at setpoint voltage. From bulk to absorb) = 1,776 Watts
    • Battery will go from 60 amps down below 1% rate of charge (400 AH bank.. from 60 amps to 4 amps)
    • 60 Amps * 27.2 volts (battery in "float"+loads from AC inverter, etc.) = 1,632 Watts
    The MPPT controller is sort of like an automatic transmission for a car... It "matches" the solar array output to the current/voltage needs of your battery bank. Obviously, if you have less sun, the Watts from the solar array is less, and the charging current to your battery bank is less.

For your 6 panels * 260 Watts, the typical maximum wattage from the array would be:
    • 6 panels * 260 Watts = 1,560 Watt array (standard conditions rating)
    More or less, by the time you take real conditions into account, the typical maximum available array wattage (in full sun, warm day, hot panels, real charge controller) is closer to 77% maximum of rated value (some folks like 75% max).
    • 1,560 Watt array * 0.77 real world panel+controller deratings = 1,201 Watts "available" from array
    And the maximum current from the controller would be (note, this is roughly the best you will see on clear/sunny/cool days, clean solar array, charging a discharged battery bank):
    • 1,201 Watt array * 1/24 volts (low battery voltage) = 50 Amps current
    • 1,201 Watt array * 1/29.6 volts (charging setpoint) = 40.6 Amps current
    And since MPPT controllers can be "over paneled" (they will safely limit their output current to "rated current"), you can "justify" an array of:
    • 60 Amps * 29 volts charging (nominal) * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings =2,260 Watt array "cost effective" Maximum
    What McGivor says... Heat (and thermal cycling) is an enemy of electronics (and batteries, and just about anything else). He lives in a hot climate (Thailand) and would probably prefer to run his equipment at 80% of maximum ratings (or less) so they run cooler. There is something to be said for derating your system components--But it does cost you too--Larger equipment running at less than rated power.

And just to give you an idea... A very handy engineering rule of thumb. For every 10C (or 18F) increase in temperature, your devices will last 1/2 as long (or "age" 2x factor). Running your electronics cool, good ventilation, mounted away from sun/sources of heat, all good...

Typical solar power electronics, plan on a ~10+ year life, and possible repairs at 5+ years. Note that most electronics are "repairable" by the factory about 5 years after purchase/end of product life (support for firmware, components, etc.).

Not saying your stuff will die at 10.0 years--But you should have money in the bank for repairs (and battery bank replacement)--It is just a question of when, not if--Stuff will eventually fail. Off Grid Solar power is expensive.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • giovi
    Options
    Excellent information, thank you very much !!
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that is a bit off to have this concern about heat in an offgrid application. Sure if the power system is being used in a grid application where a high duty cycle is used.

Most of the offgrid systems are never even close to this other than one time a day for a few hours during battery charging. I am sure there are a few case where it can make sense to not use the full capacity of the charger. 

I have also seen the highly accelerated life testing on this charger and the 80 amp version. They are made to meet their spec and they do.
    It seems a waste to not design for max output offgrid. Not very green also ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    edited August 2019 #10
    Options
    When ambient temperatures approach 40°C  I noticed a drop in output of the 60-150, at first I assumed it was due to hot panels 61°C, until I measured the heatsink temperature it was 68°C, causing the controller to reduce its output.

Adding a puck fan to create airflow across the heatsink controled by the battery temperature sensor and axillary output, keeps temperatures at ambient temperature. 

The maximum current  is ~40A  even at this conservative level the higher ambient definitely has an effect on performance and perhaps life expectancy. We experience >33°C most of the year, the auxillary cooling fan cut in setpoint is 35°C and the fan operates even on the coolest days, cool being relevant, probably hot for many.

In temperate climates I would expect there would be little benifit adding a fan, tropical locations are particularly hard on just about everything, the CSW fans run 24/7 95% of the time.

In case anyone is curious, the battery temperature sensor is not used for lithium batteries so I put it to another use.